Black Pebble Beach dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkndivebum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Here's some video from yesterday's dive at Black Pebble Beach - South Kona, HI. It was my 1000th rebreather dive, and it was a very nice dive with several harems of Flame Wrasse, several harems of Psychedelic Wrasse, a dozen Tinker's Butterflies, a Bandit Angelfish, a male Whitley's Boxfish, a juvenile Scorpionfish (unknown type) and an octopus who kept us amused during our 20 foot deco stop.

Shot in ambient light; visibility was a bit murky, and the day slightly overcast so there's a little less "punch" in the shallows.

All in all a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours underwater.

[video=vimeo;23789811]http://www.vimeo.com/23789811[/video]

Nice video Gerard. Especially liked the displaying Flame Wrass. Do you find you can get closer to them with the rebreathers?

Part of the thing I like about that dive is the sound of the pebbles "whooshing" in the surge. Fun dive.

Thanks Steve.

Even with the CCR the flame wrasse are still twitchy little buggers. What it does afford me is patience waiting for them to come back out of the rocks :D

I debated about leaving in the sound from the pebbles near the end of the video; it's really a neat feature of that dive site and very pronounced on CCR...

Only real problem with that dive is when the beach is really, really steep it's like walking up a wall of wet marbles. Given the amount of gear I usually dive with it can be a challenge.

Yes it is Pebble Beach. Even if you don't recognize the beach, once you've dove it to the north the verticle crack in the video is a give away.

Gerard wasn't kidding on the walk back up the beach after the dive. I haven't done that dive in about 8 years, and it was memorably tough then even in a standard scuba kit, Ive done so little shore diving the last 4 years my legs aren't as strong, I'd probably have to make 2 trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom