Black smb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok I’ve come across a few Smb’s that are either full black or half color half black. Why would you want a black or half black smb? Are they suppose to be easier to see since black isn’t a color typically found in nature?

"Extensive research has established that orange is the best colour to be easily spotted against a dark surface, while black stands out on a white or grey surface."

Source: DSMB APD Black Bi-Colour

"The choice of colour should depend on surface light conditions. I wouldn’t recommend deploying a yellow buoy if the water surface is reflecting an overcast white sky – an all-black version would then be a far more visible option.
Alternatively, I wouldn’t expect a skipper to spot a black marker when the sea surface was reflecting dark clouds – in such conditions a bright red, orange or yellow marker would be appropriate.
To maximise the chance of being located in all lighting situations, my all-round choice is for a bi-colour fluorescent red and black marker."

Source: Risk Critical

which anyone looking for me can easily spot on the surface, at distance.Source: Risk Critical

I can tell you from personal experience as a SAR boat officer on a large US Navy ship (LHD) that the above statement is flawed. In even 3ft swells it is nearly impossible to sea someone floating in the water even from above. Whitecaps make it even more difficult, and the whitecaps indicate wind which will blow smoke smoke signals and SMBs down against the surface making it even harder to see, either from the deck of a ship or a small boat like a 7 meter RHIB...even from a helicopter, without a good vector to the adrift person, it is almost entirely luck. The ocean, even a small quadrant of it, is vast and a human is a tiny spec in very variable conditions that act against us at every turn. I would recommend for a diver to everything they can to not get stranded because relying on an SMB/DSMB with the expectation that it will help you be found is false hope at its best....it will increase the odds, and should be deployed to do so, but the odds are vast enough that they are totally against the adrift diver.

PLBs and die packs are probably the best alternatives for an adrift diver to be found.

-Z

I can tell you from personal experience as a SAR boat officer on a large US Navy ship (LHD) that the above statement is flawed. In even 3ft swells it is nearly impossible to sea someone floating in the water even from above. Whitecaps make it even more difficult, and the whitecaps indicate wind which will blow smoke smoke signals and SMBs down against the surface making it even harder to see, either from the deck of a ship or a small boat like a 7 meter RHIB...even from a helicopter, without a good vector to the adrift person, it is almost entirely luck. The ocean, even a small quadrant of it, is vast and a human is a tiny spec in very variable conditions that act against us at every turn. I would recommend for a diver to everything they can to not get stranded because relying on an SMB/DSMB with the expectation that it will help you be found is false hope at its best....it will increase the odds, and should be deployed to do so, but the odds are vast enough that they are totally against the adrift diver.

PLBs and die packs are probably the best alternatives for an adrift diver to be found.

-Z
I already grabbed my die pack from dgx. Looking to grab my first smb. Just wasn’t sure what the black ones and black half ones were about. I like the reasoning behind it. Thinking about grabbing and orange and black one now

-Z
That's a discussion for another thread. Yes obviously try to not get separated and to stay by the boat. Yes a PLB or dye pack or flare gun or whatever else would be better. OP merely asked about coloring options for an SMB. The article says "To maximize the chance of being found.." in the first half of the sentence you quoted.

Poseidon

What would be the situation an all black smb would be useful? I get half and half. But all black?

For those covert stealth night dives when you don't want anyone to see you.

And because companies can sell them to those guys that have were never actually in the military but feel the need to have an all black military style backpack with 82 straps, 16 black carbiners clipped to it and 1000ft of paracord. Oh and don't forget about the camelbak hose, you have to have one of those too.

I just bought one and went for pink... :D

Full black seems counterproductive at best but I never did Seach and Rescue

Ok I’ve come across a few Smb’s that are either full black or half color half black. Why would you want a black or half black smb? Are they suppose to be easier to see since black isn’t a color typically found in nature?

Black is more visible in hazy, foggy conditions than other colors. It's a popular color chosen by divers off the English coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom