Blackbeard Cruises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went solo (as a single, not solo diving) on one last year and had a great time. The boat was only half full which helped a lot. Had no trouble meeting and getting to know the others on board and had a great trip with them. Still in touch with some. I am considering going back in the future.

I am booked for March 15-21. I am going as a "onsie" and a newbie onsie at that.
There is a good chance that you have taken my spot which I had to cancel due to rotator cuff surgery after a fall during the ice storm we had. If so you are joining a great group of divers from Canadian Sub Aqua Club who you will find very welcoming. Have fun.

There is a good chance that you have taken my spot which I had to cancel due to rotator cuff surgery after a fall during the ice storm we had. If so you are joining a great group of divers from Canadian Sub Aqua Club who you will find very welcoming. Have fun.

be careful with this group................

They did mention my spot was a cancellation. I hope they will take it easy on a newly certified diver.

I just got back last Friday from a week long trip with Blackbeard (Morning Star) and I have to say, that it was a great experience. I usually dive with the same set of ex-military friends and this was much different. I was happy to find a dive buddy from Canada that has a great length of bottom time and a great outlook on diving. We completed 19 dives (including night dives) and all were in the Exuma Island area. The crew was great and the trip was worth the money I paid. I can't expound on the trip any more than the previous post that note the trip as 'Camping with diving'. The only thing I will change next time is that I won't take a rack in the Galley, at the bottom of the ladder well, over the ac compressor. I'll pick a berth further towards the bow.

How does the diving / underwater experience compare to other places like Caribbean and Florida Keys? I was booking myself on one of these trips but got discouraged because I was told that Bahamas coral reefs are no where as impressive as Bonaire, Hondras and other places which can be dived in the same money as Blackbeards. In the absence of impressive reefs, the trip then depends on occasional big animal encounters so people who have these will say that Blackbeard is great and those who are not fortunate will be disappointed. True?

I did find the reefs to be less impressive than some others, but as a marine ecologist I viewed this as a challenge... to try to determine the reasons for that. There was still plenty for me to film, and not just the big stuff. I would certainly do another trip with them in the future.

drbill, you mention stuff to film and "not just big stuff". I enjoy macro photography; are there alot of nudibranches there? What's the best places to find them there? My crew will thank you, as my tips go up (never down) in proportion to the nudis I find/ am shown.

If anyone else is going; I'm booked on the 24 May-30 May trip with two other divers from Georgia.

I just booked with them moving sea urchins to a part of the reef where the urchins have all died. The trip is May 10 to May 16. This is my first experience with a live aboard and I'm really looking forward to it. Anyone else on the board going on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom