Blackbeards cruise 2-21 2-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthFL

Reaction score
I am going on my first liveabord with blackbeards cruises on 2-21-04 2-27-04 as a single. I have read all the past post about BB. Most have answered all the diving questions, but I still have few questions. They say you can fish. Do they troll on the way over to bimini and/or did you fish during your SI and/or at night. How many rods did they have and what kind of tackle/bait do they use? They also say you can spearfish. I know you can only do it while free diving with a pole spear/sling. How many times during a 7 day trip did they allow spear fishing?

Sorry for the non diving question. I love fishing and spearfish just as much as diving. I would only take what the boat would allow and what is legal. Thanks

SouthFL:
I am going on my first liveabord with blackbeards cruises on 2-21-04 2-27-04 as a single. I have read all the past post about BB. Most have answered all the diving questions, but I still have few questions. They say you can fish. Do they troll on the way over to bimini and/or did you fish during your SI and/or at night. How many rods did they have and what kind of tackle/bait do they use? They also say you can spearfish. I know you can only do it while free diving with a pole spear/sling. How many times during a 7 day trip did they allow spear fishing?

Sorry for the non diving question. I love fishing and spearfish just as much as diving. I would only take what the boat would allow and what is legal. Thanks

They don't troll while crossing the Gulf Stream. But they pretty much troll anytime the boat is moving. They have about 4 lines off the back of the boat and if I remember they don't use bait, just lures. The main thing that is caught is Barracuda which is then shish-k-bob'd and frozen for use in the shark dive.

About twice a day during a surface interval there will be a chance to go swimming, freediving or catch a dingy ride to a little Cay for some beach time. So I'd say you have as many chances as you want. They only allow you to go for Grouper and Lobster and I've rarely seen anyone actually come up with anything. ( Sling spears only are allowed )

contrary to what the previous poster wrote Blackbeard's will allow you to troll lines as they cross the gulf stream. If passengers on the boat want to fish and the operation isn't hindered by having the lines in the water it's not a problem. Yes, they do catch mostly barricuda, but plenty of mahi mahi are caught as well. 2 weeks ago the Morning Star crew had a marlin on a line and brought it right to the stern of the boat before cutting it loose. There are plenty of lobster out there as well, and occasionally enough is caught that port night is a lobster fest....if you're on the right boat. Each boat and crew are different, so your opportunities will depend on how they operate their own boats. Express your desires to the captain and crew and I'm sure they'll try to accommodate you.

enjoy the trip.

I was on board last year and the fishing aspect was as reported above. I dont think any of us divers actually fished but the crew did quite often. I guess we were on the right boat as mentioned earlier as we all went spear fishing for lobster and I must say we had a FEAST that night! Get everybody involved and use the crew as guides. They showed us where and how. I have heard different stories about different trips and it seems like they are all different.
I hope you like camping! There are no luxury's on Blackbeards! Worth the trip...at least once anyways. Enjoy!

I just got back last week from a blackbeards...aboard the Pirates Lady with Capt Mike. I will also second the ichiban reccommendation...great chef...The conditions are not luxurious but that only adds to the whole experience...HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE! I reccommend it to anyone looking for a budget trip..Check out the photo's.
www.picturetrail.com/jaythomas

indymule, thank you sir for sharing your pics with us. its been a little over 1 1/2 years since we went out with Blackbeards but your pics bring it all back just like it was last week. man i wish i was back there right now.

thanks,
steve

Back
Top Bottom