Blackbeard's liveaboard- question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bre

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am heading out on my first blackbeard's liveaboard in November and I am wondering about the practicality of bringing my DSLR set up- lenses, strobes, etc. I am aware that there is limited space, and I don't want to have all of my photography equipment causing a space issue (for myself or others). I know it is like camping at sea, but just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether it is a wise choice or not to bring all of this stuff.

Is there enough space for me to have a reasonably sized case of photography equipment ? Is it too busy/crowded to be dealing with all of this- i.e storage, maintenance, charging, etc. Will there be space to have my camera sitting in a case in freshwater between dives? (Is there fresh water available for this beyond the drinking water & 30 second fresh water showers?).

I am really hoping to be able to do some photography on this trip, however I don't want to cause a space issue and I don't have a good idea of whether it will be or not

Just looking for some insight into this from those of you who have been on this liveaboard before (or have done photography with dslr set ups on this trip before!)

Thanks

Bre

When I was on it in June there was 55 gallon drum that was cut in half that they used for camera soaking bin. Only 1 person brought a camera, they unloaded everything at the start of the trip and left the camera bag at the dock. He soaked the camera for the entire length of the trip, and had his WA lens in the "under the seat" storage. The camera was some sort of midsize mirrorless dslr on a tray with arms and strobes. The DM also took her camera out on some of the dives, and she soaked it overnight with no space issues.

Reactions: Bre
@Bre I brought my full-sized DSLR set-up on Blackbeard's and had no issues. I was one of three photographers on board. A tad tight at times, but overall it was fine and definitely worth bringing!

Reactions: Bre
@Bre I brought my full-sized DSLR set-up on Blackbeard's and had no issues. I was one of three photographers on board. A tad tight at times, but overall it was fine and definitely worth bringing!

okay great thanks for letting me know! Glad to hear that. I'm thinking I will bring it

When I was on it in June there was 55 gallon drum that was cut in half that they used for camera soaking bin. Only 1 person brought a camera, they unloaded everything at the start of the trip and left the camera bag at the dock. He soaked the camera for the entire length of the trip, and had his WA lens in the "under the seat" storage. The camera was some sort of midsize mirrorless dslr on a tray with arms and strobes. The DM also took her camera out on some of the dives, and she soaked it overnight with no space issues.

okay, sounds like it is do-able. Thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom