blackmailed into spending more money to get certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSI training standars basically state that if you've met the minimum requirements for the course, you have to receive your certification. It specifically states (alright, specifically, translated from the Dutch Training Standards I have in front of me): If a student satisfies the SSI standards, but not the extended requirements of the instructor, then the student should be certified. This is true for all of SSI, as the entire organization works based on Global Training Standards. You should point out General Training Standards point 8 to your instructor (which is what I quoted).

Never heard of such a thing as "special dives." Sounds like a shake down for more cash. I was certified through SSI, and had no such problem. Well at least you haven't arose to a horses head in your bunk yet.

I understand your pain as its rightly justified. Complain with email, phone calls as well as forums and I bet you get your certs quickly.

Also, make sure you don't tip dive staff, boats etc as that should be included in the cost as well. Tipping dive staff is overrated and there is likely high turnover where you dive so no point anyway.

On your next dive, make sure you negotiate rates, ask for detailed air/transfer/avoid any nitrox gas scams/fees and provide Groupon's/discounts up front so they know they cant pull one over on you.

I understand your pain as its rightly justified. Complain with email, phone calls as well as forums and I bet you get your certs quickly.

Also, make sure you don't tip dive staff, boats etc as that should be included in the cost as well. Tipping dive staff is overrated and there is likely high turnover where you dive so no point anyway.

On your next dive, make sure you negotiate rates, ask for detailed air/transfer/avoid any nitrox gas scams/fees and provide Groupon's/discounts up front so they know they cant pull one over on you.

:nuke:

One possible translation, if you will forgive me ...

"The relationship between the diver and the operation is one based on warm, mutual respect, where both parties fondly hope that the experience of working together will be mutually beneficial, and the source of cherished memories to appreciate for a lifetime. This relationship must be nurtured and strengthened if it is to withstand the uncertainties of adventurous travel into dark and dangerous places.

To breathe suspicion into this atmosphere of trust, or worse, enter the relationship expecting to be tricked or swindled, throws a dark cloud over the delicate process of establishing a robust and convivial collaboration."

Obviously you need to show your LDS how much you appreciate them by just giving them your credit card information and a notarized statement indicating that you authorize them to put charges on that card anytime they want for any reason they want.

While line 1 may be valid, following the other tips from Skankpile will lead directly to your next bad experience post on Scubaboard. A "tip" (not pay) is never mandatory, but its easy to see how rewarding someone for quality service could result in more of that level of service, and maybe something else beyond that. People only have to do the minimum.

And if Groupon figures prominently in your transactions, save yourself a lot of stress and quit diving now because the prices are only up from there.

Obviously you need to show your LDS how much you appreciate them by just giving them your credit card information and a notarized statement indicating that you authorize them to put charges on that card anytime they want for any reason they want.

I know of a dive shop that needs no notarized statement. If they have a trip that isn't selling, and they have your cc number on file, and you say within someone's hearing "Oh, I should go on that", the next thing you see is a big ass charge for a trip.

I actually changed CC numbers.

I know of a dive shop that needs no notarized statement. If they have a trip that isn't selling, and they have your cc number on file, and you say within someone's hearing "Oh, I should go on that", the next thing you see is a big ass charge for a trip.

I actually changed CC numbers.

WOW!!! Just, wow.

Unfortunately SSI Italy left me alone and told me that my instructor is surely in good faith and asking me (blackmailing) for these extra dives for my safety's sake.

DAMN

Back
Top Bottom