blackmailed into spending more money to get certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alfred1. Really doesn't address your problem and sounds like it isn't mandatory for your certification but those " special dives" if in the same environment you plan to dive, may be worthwhile, especially if the cost is reasonable.

My open water instruction was purely quarry and I felt this lack when I went for my first ocean dive. Dealing with waves, surge, current, anchor line/drift, boats... Well let's just say I think the transition would have been smoother if at least some of that had been done while under instruction.

So while you certainly should not be " blackmailed" into these dives they may also not be entirely bogus or a waste of time/added cost. But that should be your call.

Unfortunately SSI Italy left me alone and told me that my instructor is surely in good faith and asking me (blackmailing) for these extra dives for my safety's sake.

DAMN
sounds like SSI contacted the instructor and was told that in his/her professional opinion you have not the standards and they do not feel comfortable to issue a certification. Perhaps be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you can in a comfortable manner plan and safely execute a dive alone with your buddy without any instructor or dive master present. If not, then talk to instructor on how to do so.
Sometimes a student may think they are ready when in truth they are not.
i have had a few think that way,one I remember who was in poor physical condition ( got medical from doctor with ok to dive) could not clear a mask unless they tried as many as 6 attempts , no awareness of buoyancy control and complained about us everywhere locally and online reviews not giving him a certification. Told him that certification is earned not purchased.
I do not know if this applies to you, but it is difficult to look inside oneself and find fault.

As always in stories such as these, we are getting only one side. However, if it is as described, I would not give the shop any more money, cut my losses and find a different instructor, shop and agency. I would then launch a word of mouth and online campaign to drive students away from that shop.

This is funny as long as you aren't in this issue by person.

I am humble enough to accept my limits, am not an expert diver in any way but I comply with open water diver standards.

This is funny as long as you aren't in this issue by person.

I am humble enough to accept my limits, am not an expert diver in any way but I comply with open water diver standards.
As suggested by nimoh(#24), time to move on.

Back
Top Bottom