BlackTip Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T-roy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys....what batteries are you using in your blacktip scooters? Dewalt or aftermarket?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I'm curious to how they are holding up for those that have been running them for a while now as well. I just ordered a Blacktip and waiting on the backorder for it to arrive. I have a pair of 9.0 Ah DeWalts sitting on my Amazon wish list waiting to add them to the shopping basket. The 12.0 Ah are a huge price jump (double) and I can't find a price break unless you get a 10 pack of them. I'm hoping to start with the 9s and if they are not big enough then break down and get the 12s for the second set.

I'm still leary of the off-brand batteries. The a couple I got for my Milwaukee cordless drill that are 50/50. Some died in months (they did warrantee them, but still had bad packs) and some appear to last like the factory packs. I have no doubt a good one is good, but getting bad ones has burned me.

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me...waiting on backorder....gives me time to do a little research on batteries....I've heard the Waitley batteries on amazon are pretty good from one source....but would like to hear from some other users...also considering buying 4 5ah batteries vs 2 9ah....

I have two sets of the Waitley 9.0 AH batteries and so far they have delivered solid performance. I've used them on a mere handful of dives thus far, so I can't speak for longevity.

DeWalt 9.0Ah

They're working great for me. Granted, I only have four dives with them but no problems with endurance if you stick to cruising speeds (3-5) and you're not tilting at high-speed currents for a whole dive.

The re-charge rate on a DeWalt charger is really, really good, too. I finished a long dive last week, ate dinner, came back after about an hour and then went for a looong night dive where we were zooming all over the place in various speeds to catch lobsters. Lots of on-off trigger time and plenty of catch up speeds (bursts of 7-8 to catch up to somebody who had a bug cornered). No issues with 9Ah battery performance.

I think you can buy with confidence.

Might search in the BlackTip threads for posts by @stuartv . IIRC, he has both the 9Ah and 12Ah batteries. I bought the 9Ah because I found documentation I needed for flying (and tomorrow is my maiden flight with my BlackTip in its shipping case and my batteries in a carry on!). I later found the same documentation for the 12Ah batteries but I had already bought the 9Ah. When I get back to the States, I'll pick up another set of batteries and probably spring for the 12Ah to complement the tech tube I hope to get.

dewalt 12ah
I ordered up some lawn tools to use them with also. That made the sting feel less severe. I got a string trimmer, pole trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower and hedge trimmers for about 550$ total because I didn't need batteries or charger.
There is one place offering them for 200 with no tax and free shipping. Most places are 249 or more.

DeWalt 9.0Ah

They're working great for me. Granted, I only have about four dives with them but no problems with endurance if you stick to cruising speeds (3-5) and you're not tilting at high-speed currents for a whole dive.

The re-charge rate on a DeWalt charger is really, really good, too. I finished a long dive last week, ate dinner, came back after about an hour and then went for a looong night dive where we were zooming all over the place in various speeds to catch lobsters. Lots of on-off trigger time and plenty of catch up speeds (bursts of 7-8 to catch up to somebody who had a bug cornered). No issues with 9Ah battery performance.

I think you can buy with confidence.

Might search in the BlackTip threads for posts by @stuartv . IIRC, he has both the 9Ah and 12Ah batteries. I bought the 9Ah because I found documentation I needed for flying (and tomorrow is my maiden flight with my BlackTip in its shipping case and my batteries in a carry on!). I later found the same documentation for the 12Ah batteries but I had already bought the 9Ah. When I get back to the States, I'll pick up another set of batteries and probably spring for the 12Ah to complement the tech tube I hope to get.

I just have 1 pair of the 12s. I have yet to end a day with less than 2 bars showing on the scooter’s battery meter display.

dewalt 12ah
I ordered up some lawn tools to use them with also. That made the sting feel less severe. I got a string trimmer, pole trimmer, chainsaw, leaf blower and hedge trimmers for about 550$ total because I didn't need batteries or charger.
There is one place offering them for 200 with no tax and free shipping. Most places are 249 or more.
Where did you find them at for $200? I have not been able to find that magical price. Best is ~$219 but you have to buy a 10-pack to get that price.

Honestly don't know if that is what I want. This is my first scooter so I have no reference to how much I need. The 9Ah is probably fine.

I have yet to end a dive with any usable battery left but I tow me and my wife out to the reef and back. On many occasions I pulled 3 of us and on one I pulled 4 out to the reef. I had to be very conservative about my speed and didn't use it much at all during the drift portion of the dive.

Here are some deals. I got mine for 200 delivered. My buddy later found only 249 but we got on the phone and in 20 minutes we found him 210 and 215 but he had to order from two different places as they only had one. Our time is worth more than that but the thrill of the hunt is worth something.

20V/60V Max Battery - No. DCB612

$199 DeWalt™ DCB612 FlexVolt - Free & Fast Shipping: DeWaltAd·www.toolnut.com/Why this ad? this link may be broken

Here's one where you can buy the batteries today for 2 for 500 and you get a 100$ coupon to use starting tuesday on a purchase of 199. You can use that to buy your charger and a tool compatible with the batteries so for just over 600 you would get the batteries, charger and a tool of your choice.dewalt-dcb612-20-60-volt-max-flexvolt-12ah-compact-rechargeable-battery-pack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom