Blacktip nose clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
Got the Blacktip, never had a DPV before. Have a class planned, working on dates. Did a quick pre-class the other day. It was pretty much a demo in the pool and make sure it works, couple of things I need to get ready first. Needed to work on some prep work, like reconfiguring my bailouts, etc.

One of the things I learned was parking it during a dive, tuck it in like a stage. Now I understand why people put a clip on the nose. Since I have not weighted or trimmed mine out yet (already a touch negative in the nose) I figure now would be the best time to dial that in. I am sure I could rig something up, but why not ask for a little advise. Any do's or don't that I should pay attention to? Examples would be appreciated.

I'd forgotten about the bolt snap on the nose...probably very useful.

I just use a small Dyneema loop and it works in a lot of different ways (securing it during the boat ride, securing the DPV outside the wreck, securing the bolt snap when handing it up to the crew, etc). If I were to stow the scooter like a stage, I'd just run the bolt snap through the Dyneema loop and then clip the bolt snap in to my shoulder D-ring.

You can see my red Dyneema loop in this photo where I'm working on my impersonation of an otter (looking for a boat).

upload_2020-11-29_3-53-2-png.627370.png

You may have already noticed this, but some of us didn't: on the nose handle, there are holes on either side that you could pass a cord through to make a loop. So that's an easy way to attach a clip.

You may have already noticed this, but some of us didn't: on the nose handle, there are holes on either side that you could pass a cord through to make a loop. So that's an easy way to attach a clip.

@pauldw is right...that's where I ran my Dyneema loop and where I tuck the reef (square) knot out of sight.

I went out and looked, there are holes. Did not see those before. Thanks for pointing that out. Should make rigging something easier.
But I am still open to suggestions and recommendations.

Got the Blacktip, never had a DPV before. Have a class planned, working on dates. Did a quick pre-class the other day. It was pretty much a demo in the pool and make sure it works, couple of things I need to get ready first. Needed to work on some prep work, like reconfiguring my bailouts, etc.

One of the things I learned was parking it during a dive, tuck it in like a stage. Now I understand why people put a clip on the nose. Since I have not weighted or trimmed mine out yet (already a touch negative in the nose) I figure now would be the best time to dial that in. I am sure I could rig something up, but why not ask for a little advise. Any do's or don't that I should pay attention to? Examples would be appreciated.
I've got mine trimmed out pretty good, it's a "supercharged" seadoo model but i don't use it often. I also don't have a nose clip, but i do have one on the left side in the middle and it stay's with me flawlessly...
<TG>

I put one of these on each side of the shroud. 3 and 9 o'clock positions, using existing bolts. Then tied a short loop of paracord through each. With a nose clip and a double ender for one of these loops, you can clip it to chest and waist to hold it to you like a deco cylinder. Or, you can just clip the tail to you and the nose will float above you (IF you have the Travel - if you have a Tech, then maybe it doesn't matter).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N074XSY/

I used paracord through the holes in the nose cone to attach a leash w/boltsnap on one side and a loop on the opposite side to clip it to when not using it. I think it's good to make that braided leash about a fist width long, so you can have a good grip on it, even with gloves on, when you're trying to clip the nose off.

2020-03-22 14.09.12.jpg

I was poking around on YouTube and found the DiveXtras instructions for installing a front bolt snap for the Blacktip.

I did a quick weighting in the pool and the nose was a touch heavy without a clip. Went in the kitchen, weighed the clip and the nose, danced around a few burning candles on the floor, took a little weight out of the nose cone to counter the clip and a touch more for guessing how heavy the nose was. Another dip and see how well I got it.

Right now I have a length of bungee with the clip on it. Offset to one side. Just the slightest preload on the bungee. I can clip the snap bolt onto the bungee cord to tame it. Have no idea if this will work in the wild. Waiting for a proper wet test to see how it works. I have a good feeling that plan 1.0 will have a revision. Not sure if it will just be a minor revision into plan 1.1 or if it will be a complete redo into plan 2.0

I was poking around on YouTube and found the DiveXtras instructions for installing a front bolt snap for the Blacktip.

I did a quick weighting in the pool and the nose was a touch heavy without a clip. Went in the kitchen, weighed the clip and the nose, danced around a few burning candles on the floor, took a little weight out of the nose cone to counter the clip and a touch more for guessing how heavy the nose was. Another dip and see how well I got it.

Right now I have a length of bungee with the clip on it. Offset to one side. Just the slightest preload on the bungee. I can clip the snap bolt onto the bungee cord to tame it. Have no idea if this will work in the wild. Waiting for a proper wet test to see how it works. I have a good feeling that plan 1.0 will have a revision. Not sure if it will just be a minor revision into plan 1.1 or if it will be a complete redo into plan 2.0

I don't like the way they show it done. The result is that you either have to completely unthread the strap from its buckle to run it through the loops of the nose clip cord every time you put the nose back on. Or you leave the nose attached, but you still have to loosen the strap in its buckle to remove the nose cone. Or you do the strap where the nose clip's cord is pinched under and a loop just pulled over to one side.

I like being able to completely remove the nose without undoing the strap from the buckle or changing the adjustment of its length at all.

I put one of these on each side of the shroud. 3 and 9 o'clock positions, using existing bolts. Then tied a short loop of paracord through each. With a nose clip and a double ender for one of these loops, you can clip it to chest and waist to hold it to you like a deco cylinder. Or, you can just clip the tail to you and the nose will float above you (IF you have the Travel - if you have a Tech, then maybe it doesn't matter).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N074XSY/

I used paracord through the holes in the nose cone to attach a leash w/boltsnap on one side and a loop on the opposite side to clip it to when not using it. I think it's good to make that braided leash about a fist width long, so you can have a good grip on it, even with gloves on, when you're trying to clip the nose off.

View attachment 630601

Stuartv - could you show a picture of how you attached the bracket?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom