Blacktip Scooter- Limited To Weighting, Buoyancy and Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of the last 5-6 blacktips that I've helped with locally. ALL of them needed the weights removed from the tube and shot taken out of the noscone.

Dive x needs to do a better job of weighting from the factory.

Theres still a little tweeking needed, but using 2620g as a starting point is a lot closer than the 100g+ they're off from the factory

Be happy that you have extra weight to take out. If you got light batteries and had to go looking for the shot to load into the nose people would not be happy. Better to have extra you can remove than not have enough that you don't have. With the wide variety of battery options, they cannot make a one size will be perfect for everyone right out of the box.

Dive Xtras is doing a great job of getting you the most usable DV in one package. Now if you want to be locked into only using one (propritory?) battery pack, you can get a better out of the box weighting. But that would be stupid.

Of the last 5-6 blacktips that I've helped with locally. ALL of them needed the weights removed from the tube and shot taken out of the noscone.

Dive x needs to do a better job of weighting from the factory.

Theres still a little tweeking needed, but using 2620g as a starting point is a lot closer than the 100g+ they're off from the factory
Do you know what the final assembled weights ended up being

Now if you want to be locked into only using one (propritory?) battery pack, you can get a better out of the box weighting. But that would be stupid.

If I could get a Logic Genesis for anywhere near the same price as my BT - even to double - I would happily pay it and have the Genesis battery pack.

Alright, got it trim and buoyancy taken care of today. Total assembled weight of 13184.3g. It floats with the nose just awash and the handle right below the surface without the weight of the tow cord bolt snap in fresh water. The tow cord bolt snap makes it slowly sink.

I ended up with my lid at 2637.6g to help with trim, and that is with my batteries weighing 1451.2 and 1455.0. The lighter battery was in the nose position so I might swap those around next dive and see how it is.

While I didn't have to remove all of the weight on the tube, I did remove 26 of the stick-on weights.

After adding Patrick's compass mounts, SK8s, and a GoPro in a housing the back of the scooter is back to being negatively buoyant. I pulled the rest of the wheel weights out of the tail, and it's close but still slightly negative so I ordered some of the subsea foam and I'm going to try and add some flotation to the tail of the scooter. I'm sure I could pull more weight out of the nose and make it neutral but it would be even more nose up in trim.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom