Blending of new and old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
Only the one below.
On a German website I found it theu're offered for sale.
Don't know if they ship to the US.

When I got certified in '83 it was on both single and double stage regs, both with buddy breathing due to lack of octos. Simple training, not rocket science.

I would like to know what agency was teaching with double hoses in 1983 ? I was teaching then and we had been using octo/Safe 2nd stages for years before that.

I was certified in Austria in 1983 through an agency called DIWA - Diving Instructor World Association. They were headquartered elsewhere though, and quite popular at the time in southern parts of Europe. I believe they still excist.

Certification took a week and 15 dives in a backyard pond (in lieu of a pool), lakes and rivers from shores and boats. It included just about every thing that is sold as OW, ADV OW and Rescue today, excepth CPR. Night- and low viz dives, freediving, getting an "unconscious" diver from 20 meters to the surface, towing im 200 meters to shore, pulling him out of the water and giving mouth-to-mouth, all that sort of thing.

Max. depth was 40 meters. Equipmentwise we used double- and single stage regs, tanks with J-valves (I belive, the ones with reserve rod), plastic backplates, horsecollar BCDs and (what looked like) Jet Fins. We did both buddy breathing (from either reg) and donating a second reg (from small, independent twins).

The "c-card" was a passport size booklet.
Both training and instructor were very good.

caveseeker7:
It's your lucky day, turtleguy.

My friend Janwillem just posted his BOOT-05 report on his Rebreathers Worldwide website and included the new Mistral with a couple of pictures.
Just scroll down past the Dräger RBs and FFMs. :D
Thanks for the link...good photos.

All the best, James

caveseeker7:
I was certified in Austria in 1983 through an agency called DIWA - Diving Instructor World Association. They were headquartered elsewhere though, and quite popular at the time in southern parts of Europe. I believe they still excist.

Certification took a week and 15 dives in a backyard pond (in lieu of a pool), lakes and rivers from shores and boats. It included just about every thing that is sold as OW, ADV OW and Rescue today, excepth CPR. Night- and low viz dives, freediving, getting an "unconscious" diver from 20 meters to the surface, towing im 200 meters to shore, pulling him out of the water and giving mouth-to-mouth, all that sort of thing.

Max. depth was 40 meters. Equipmentwise we used double- and single stage regs, tanks with J-valves (I belive, the ones with reserve rod), plastic backplates, horsecollar BCDs and (what looked like) Jet Fins. We did both buddy breathing (from either reg) and donating a second reg (from small, independent twins).

The "c-card" was a passport size booklet.
Both training and instructor were very good.

I found their site......I'm writing them now for information on using double hose regulators as training equipment in class.

The new Mistrals are going to be shipping to US markets sometime "about" mid February, with a price tag in the (ballpark) $900 range.
My local shop has one of the critters in their showcase, apparently they wouldn't let the AquaLung rep leave the store unless he left it. :wink:

Nemrod:
Can anyone explain why everyhting good is sold in Europe. We actually have money over here too. I suppose it is all the lawyers. I cannot imagine there being more interest in Europe vs USA in double hose regs. Oh well, not sure that is an improvement upon a Royal Aquamaster. Nemrod
AquaLung *is* a French company after all. No surprise they would release a new product in their own neck of the woods first.

Well, that makes a certain sense since I imagine the reason everything is made someplace other than here is due to lawyers. Funny that, I have USD equipment from the 50s, 60s and 70s that says Made in the USA stamped all over them and other bits they say made in France like this lovely old USD depth guage I am holding.
Regardless, the "new" double hose unit does not seem well thought out especailly with that hose looping about from the first stage to the second. I will wait for Gen II. N

Most of what Nemrod said of double hose regulators hold true, particularly concerning placement of the regulator on the tank. But looking at the new Aqualung Mistral, it appears that this is a unit that could defy all the problems associated with tank mounting of the double hose regulator. The first and second stages of the new Mistral appear to be separate units, which can be disconnected. If this is true, it is a breakthrough for the double hose unit. This would allow the second stage to be placed on a chest-mount, which completely negates the usual disadvantage of double hose regulators. Also, with the two stages being separated, a diver could use the newer manifolds for double tanks which have twin posts, one above each tank with an on-off valve over each, and another separating the two cylinders. The first stage could be mounted on one post, a redundant single hose regulator on the other post, and the second stage of the Mistral centered on the backpack. The design looks revolutionary to me.

SeaRat

Just heard from my LDS. As of last Friday (28 Jan 2005) there 40 left available in the USA for February, and 8 more for March. Retail $990.

All the best, James

fdog:
Just heard from my LDS. As of last Friday (28 Jan 2005) there 40 left available in the USA for February, and 8 more for March. Retail $990.

All the best, James

Thanks for the update James
I have not purchsed any new gear from Aqualung in years, but I better find a local shop here, that sells it, if I want one. The shop I work for mostly sells Scubapro, and Sherwood.
Aloha Turtleguy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom