blending question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Is it really necessary to analyze the He in a mix. I mean if you did your calculations right and your O2 comes out fine, is there a need to analyze He. The reason I ask is because purchasing a He analyzer is very expensive. I am thinking about making one, but the output from the sensor is not liiear.

I just mixed up some normoxic mix. I analyzed the O2 and I was .8% off. I figured if i was .8% off my mark, I would be okay to dive the mix. My END is 100ft so even if I have less He than plan my END could not go more than 120ft. If I have more He, then there is no problem.

Let me know.
ADAM

I like many do not have an He analyzer and I get by. The O2 content is the most important since a mistake there can be very unforgiving. I wouldn't think anything at all of diving a mix with the O2 within a percent of target especially if it's on the low side.

run the numbers on your planning software for 10% over and 10%under the intended He percentage. If there's enough difference to to consider, go with the more conservative times.

Mix isn't known for being forgiving, best to be safe

Darlene

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I like many do not have an He analyzer and I get by. The O2 content is the most important since a mistake there can be very unforgiving. I wouldn't think anything at all of diving a mix with the O2 within a percent of target especially if it's on the low side.

Good point, Mike! There is SOME flexibility, but as you say, not a heck of a lot. I finally got an Atomox to use alongside my OxyCheq O2 meter, and boy-oh-boy does it make life easier!:D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom