Blindly trust computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
It baffles me time after time that people rather rely on a piece of electronics instead of their common sense and knowledge. I will never understand why.

AJ:
It baffles me time after time that people rather rely on a piece of electronics instead of their common sense and knowledge. I will never understand why.
Because basic math and basic science are both hard.

according to suunto, the issue was with the pressure sensor, so even I don't think multivariable calculus or linear algebra would be of much use here.

Home | Suunto Dive Computer Settlement
Yes, but learning how to dive using basic math and tables as well as having a basic grasp (beyond open water course) of how gases are absorbed into the body means divers are not driven by a computer,b ut instead they drive the computer.

That is the point. As the computers I saw it refer to, I don't know all of them, were air integrated monstrosities. That tend to lead to an over dependance on the device. Why think when the little screen tells me what to do.

Suunto settles scary scuba screwup for $50m: 'Faulty' dive computer hardware and software put explorers in peril

Some folks on SB keep advocating for understanding decompression and gas/time relationship using the simplest tools possible (tables, pre-dive planning, methods to monitor actual gas usage vs expected gas usage). Computers can be helpful, but over-reliance can compromise your safety and abilities as a diver.
You may be right, but that suit sounds like the epitome of frivolous suits. It relied almost exclusively on those bizarre California-only laws that give the state a bad name in the rest of the union. At least according to the complaint that was linked in the article you provided.

I don't think understanding dive planning for a basic diver is a bad thing, it should be taught in OW class. Having learned on tables then switched to computers, I'm not sure the table knowledge does much for me.

You may be right, but that suit sounds like the epitome of frivolous suits. It relied almost exclusively on those bizarre California-only laws that give the state a bad name in the rest of the union. At least according to the complaint that was linked in the article you provided.

I don't think understanding dive planning for a basic diver is a bad thing, it should be taught in OW class. Having learned on tables then switched to computers, I'm not sure the table knowledge does much for me.
Knowing and understanding tables is a great way to verify that the computer's suggestion makes sense.

Without it, its tough to catch if what the computer says is right or wrong.

This is why I always dive with 2 computers that are not the same make / model / manufacturer.

My main reliance on them comes from a simple fact. Almost never do we actually dive a square profile. Trying to figure out my NDL times when i spend my dive alternating my depth say... 20 feet up or down constantly, it becomes almost impossible to calculate ndl times correctly.

I plan my deco dives ahead of time so I already know what depths my stops will be and for how long. If I'm making a recreational dive within my ndl I can ascend safely and finish the dive at any time without the use of my computer. I must be an "elite" diver. :)

Back
Top Bottom