Bloodshot eyes-extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always had sensitive eyes and have been told by physicians that it is a genetic issue. Exposure to sunny days and wind has always made my eyes look bloodshot and in fact there are always some vessels visible. My father and brother had same issue. Diving has always caused this to increase post dive for a short period. Lately though people have really been concerned when viewing my eyes after a dive and on the last two dives I have experienced some stinging similar to getting sunblock in your eyes during the dive. I have been on effient (similar to plavix) and a 325mg daily aspirin therapy for 1 year now. I don't believe mask squeeze to be an issue because I often exhale through my nose during the dive and clear my mask often as well. The two dives that stinging was noticed were less than 30fsw. About 6 months ago I did a several dives to about 90fsw and recently two dives to 60fsw with no stinging or extreme bloodshot (just the usual) I plan on doing a couple 90fsw dives this coming week and I am starting to be concerned. Does anyone know if the aspirin or the effient therapy has a cumulative effect that should be monitored? Is my blood thinner now after a year of this regimen than it was say 6 months ago? I also take 3000 mg of fish oil a day but I am thinking about cutting that down to 1500? I also take coQ10 as well as a multi vitamin. Any thoughts?:(

To answer your question: No, the effect of aspirin and effient is not increased with time of use, once it has reached steady-state. And neither medication will affect the vasodilation that results in bloodshot eyes as a result of irritation. However, if the redness you are seeing is persistent for more than a few hours, it may actually be subconjunctival hemorrhage, which IS more likely as a result of the combination of anticoagulants. If you are not equalizing your mask, this is easy to have happen.

I am by now means any kind of doctor or anyone capable of giving medical advice. With that stated; I had had the whites of both of my eyes turned completely red to the point that I looked like some kind of demon offspring. This was caused by simple mask squeeze on a 60' dive. I descended very quickly and did not equalize my mask when I first noticed the pressure. There was never enough pressure to cause any pain and I didn't think much about it until after the dive and everyone was getting all excited about my eyes.

Equalize early and often!

Coming at it from a completely different direction, does your mask at all leak? Sea Drops and other defogging agents can irritate your eyes. A less than full rinse coupled with some water in your mask can get some in your eyes. I switched to baby shampoo as a degogging agent as a consequence.

Just a thought.

Is this subconjunctival hemorrhage dangerous or have long term effects? As I stated I nose breath and equalize my mask often. I haven't changed the way I do anything or any equipment in the last couple hundred dives so I am just being comparative.

---------- Post Merged at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:45 AM ----------

Coming at it from a completely different direction, does your mask at all leak? Sea Drops and other defogging agents can irritate your eyes. A less than full rinse coupled with some water in your mask can get some in your eyes. I switched to baby shampoo as a degogging agent as a consequence.

Just a thought.

Mask leaks at times on all dives but nothing unusual and I've been using the same defog and rinsing method as well (thorough rinsing with fresh water)

Hi LI Diver,

Why are you on the Effient, aspirin and CoQ10? This combination makes me suspicious of coronary or vascular issues that may be aggravating your condition, especially with immersion, and may be problematic for diving in and of themselves.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi LI Diver,

Why are you on the Effient, aspirin and CoQ10? This combination makes me suspicious of coronary or vascular issues that may be aggravating your condition, especially with immersion, and may be problematic for diving in and of themselves.

Best regards,
DDM

After being urged by my cardiologist to go for a catherization because of my family history of early heart disease 3 stents were placed last june. Locations OM1,OM2 and prox LCX whatever this means.

LI Diver,

The abbreviations are the locations of the stents. OM = obtuse marginal artery, prox LCX = proximal left circumflex artery. Have you been cleared to dive by a cardiologist?

Best,
DDM

i have often seen guys getting blood shot eyes after puking during the boat ride. practically, you need to rule out small issues that may have caused this. IMHO and with the permission of DDM

No puking involved

---------- Post Merged at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:27 PM ----------

i have often seen guys getting blood shot eyes after puking during the boat ride. practically, you need to rule out small issues that may have caused this. IMHO and with the permission of DDM

No puking involved, last dive was a shore dive!

---------- Post Merged at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:27 PM ----------

LI Diver,

The abbreviations are the locations of the stents. OM = obtuse marginal artery, prox LCX = proximal left circumflex artery. Have you been cleared to dive by a cardiologist?

Best,
DDM

My cardiologist is of the school of thought that no man should dive regardless how healthy. I reached 12.1 mets on the bruce protocol at my last check up and stopped due to unbearable shin splints. No chest pain but out of breath certainly. Heart rate high enough for my age etc. Note I am 5'-4" and weigh 225lbs so I am already running on the treadmill as it approaches 4mph. I have spoken to other cardiologists that are familiar with diving and they feel 12 mets would cover most diving encounters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom