Blub.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

themagni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone.

A short bio: I'm a married Electrical Engineer with 2 kids, a van, and a mortgage.

I've got AOW and 40 dives. I just did two nice night dives this week. There's a great story about how I got my primary light should anyone care.

All my dives are local shore dives in BC; it was 30 degrees C outside for my last dive, and I wore a drysuit. I was able to lose 4 pounds of lead with my new gear, which was nice. (Down to 30 pounds now!) I haven't traveled anywhere to go diving.

I'm a :dork2: on land (as I've been my whole life), and I suppose I'm a :dork2: in the water. (Except for the "tropical diving" part, of course.)

Welcome,

Enjoy the diving and the life as you live it.

Welcome! If you have an interesting story, of course we want to hear it! Thats one of the great reasons to hang out on Scubaboard!

Hi TheMagni...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

Tell your story ... we always like to hear a good are funny story!

Do you think there are really dorks in the water? In 30 plus years of being a diver I've actually never met a DORK in the water diving. We might joke around and say the DORK word. But divers are a pretty unique group. Friendly, helpful, caring, just nice people!

Others may call us "dorks" but down deep we know better, right! So have a dorky day! I only pulled your leg alittle! :)

Again welcome to the Board.

An extra warm welcome to Scuba Board, themagni, especially if you have yellow snorkel and yellow fins... YOU DO...ya see you'll fit right in.

A great story to share...well come on, give!

All right. Here's how I got my Princeton Tec Shockwave LED:

I was at a garage sale and I got an old PT handheld light for nothing. I figured that I could get a few parts together and make myself a nice dive light in the housing.

Eventually, I got around to buying a few parts from Digikey (online electronics supplier) and my local electronics store and put together a pulse-driven LED dive light. It ran off a 9V battery and gave a fair bit of light. The 3W LEDs are quite expensive; to buy in lots of 1, they run about $50*, and so I used a $5 high-intensity LED and a pulse driver to "cheat" more light out of it. Don't try that at home. (I'd like to say, "I'm a professional", but they're still doing the paperwork on that.)

I took it on a dive, and it leaked. A very small amount, less than 1mL. "Oh well," I figured, "$20 down the drain. I've had worse."

I knew I had to get a better light, and bought a Torrent LED for my birthday from my FLDS. (Surprise! Oh, hey, I shouldn't have.) I dove with it once, then told my FLDS about how much nicer it was than the old light I built. Also, my home-built light leaked.

"Wait, it's in a PT housing? Those have a lifetime warranty. Bring it in."

I was blown away by how both parties responded: "Leaky light? Replacement coming right up, sir." I brought in the old light, and basically PT said, "Cute, but this is how you build a real LED SCUBA light. Any time, lifetime warranty, thank you for buying PT." I've still got all the parts I bought - nobody wanted them.

It's phenomenal, and now my backup light (the torrent) is brighter than a lot of primary lights. I was much brighter than both the folks I went out with on Tuesday. I saw a review saying, "it's like taking a small piece of the sun with you", and that's a reasonable assessment. The only problem it has is that if it's silty or murky then you light up a LOT of murk, just like high-beams in heavy fog.

*There are some $2100 LED modules. I'd love to try one of those out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom