Blue Angel/SCC Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaSoulSelf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are in our final "pull the trigger" stage of our first trip to Coz and I am obsessed already. Have been getting quotes, reading reviews, etc etc.

Figured I had all the data needed to make the decision and then... my DH asked the "where are they in relation to each other on the map?" question last night and its been driving me nuts ever since!

I have been racking my pea brain & the forum search function and even bing! to find a map that shows the location of Blue Angel and SCC. I tried Google Earth too, and looking up Caribe Blue. I tried finding it on some of the photo links to maps as well.

Question 1: Can anyone give me an idea of how close those are to each other?

Question 2: For those who have stayed at both -- any preferences?

Thanks in advance!

Linda

SCC is about 1/4 mile north of BA. SCC is closer to town, maybe 10 minute walk, BA 15-18 minutes. My friends love SCC because they like AI.
BA is partial inclusive, breakfast every day and lunch provided on dive days, dinner on your own, except they give one night, your choice to eat at BA restaurant.
Both are good ops, but different.
For me, the BA is perfect, small, ocean view rooms, laid back, and less expensive. Boutique is the word I hear alot.
SCC is larger, not all rooms have the ocean view.
The dive op at BA for me works great, good rentals, rinse tanks, showers, banos, all convient.
All employees very helpful from the dive op, DM's, maids, waiters, cook. front desk. Almost like
family. Rooms are not fancy, but large, clean, with electronic safes.
Food is good at the restaurant and the margaritas (frozen are the best) are simply wonderful.
I don't think you would disappointed with either the SCC or BA
Oh and do a search and you will get loads of information.
Take care and you will have fun.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=20.4947&lon=-86.9423&zoom=14&layers=B000FTFTake a look at this Coz map. Click once on the + sign to zoom in and then move back out to the waterfront. Find the lighthouse on the coast just south of town. Now head a little ways back toward town and you will see a reddish brown building roughly in the shape of a C right next to the word Avenida. That is Hotel Cozumel and Scuba Club is almost directly across the street on the water. I think Blue Angel is down closer to the lighthouse, also on the water, but I'm not sure of that so maybe someone else can help you with that. Have not stayed at either place but both look nice.

OpenStreetMap

Here you go (click on image for larger version):

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 113
Nicely done.

BA is just south of the lighthouse, maybe 2-3 minutes walking distance.
The map above shows it nicely, thanks.

Last edited:
Blue Angel is our regular hang out, I have never stayed at SCC, although folks that do really like it. It's kind of a "compound", if you will, locked behind those big wooden gates. No phones & no tv can be a drawback to some people, others it doesn't bother.

Other than that, the 2 are somewhat similar, they are both on the water, with some of Cozumel's best shore diving, both are small properties, noted for good service and quality food, SCC I belive is full-on All-Inclusive where Blue Angel gives you breakfast and lunch included on dive days included with your hotel/dive package.

Both have well thought of dive operations, with Blue Angle possibly having the faster boats, I think SCC runs larger (cabin cruiserish) boats, rather than the usual "Coz 6-packs" that BA mostly use, but not sure.

Blue Angel rooms are good sized, new air conditioning and hot water systems have been added over the past 1 1/2-2 years, small safe in the room, nice sized balconies with drying racks. ALL rooms are ocean front view. Lockers at the dive shop for equipment, and a great bunch of DM's and captains.

SCC is just a short walk from town, maybe a 1/3 of a mile, Blue Angel is almost exactly a mile from the edge of town, using Margaritaville as your starting point for both measurements. We walk to town quite often while we are there.

We've stayed at both, and love both! Sharky and others cover it pretty well. The main difference is AI vs. "partial I". SCC is AI minus drinks (except coffee & tea). No safes in the rooms but never worried too much about that. Much slower boats if you care (you will get back after 1 PM daily), and great DMs, in fact great friendly staff all around. Pool is small, food good.

BA has 22 rooms I believe which means it's half as big as SCC roughly. ALL rooms face the water. We had several DMs and were very happy with all of them. Restaurant is good and we like the convenience of eating very soon after the morning dives. Dive boats are fast which we prefer, with small groups.

When we return it will likely be BA, mainly because 1) we prefer the fast boats so that we can go into town or do something else after lunch most days and 2) enjoyed the variety of great restaurants that Coz has for dinner.

You really can't go wrong with either one, so based on what everyone has said, you can make your decision. Be warned though, a great number of us are now Cozaholics. You might find that you will need to return often.:wink:

Be warned though, a great number of us are now Cozaholics. You might find that you will need to return often.:wink:

Take the test:

Ask yourself the following questions and answer them as honestly as you can.

1. Do you lose time from work due to going to Cozumel?

2. Is your constant talking about diving Cozumel making your home life unhappy?

3. Do you go to Cozumel because you are shy with other people?

4. Are trips to Cozumel affecting your reputation?

5. Have you ever felt remorse after returning from Cozumel?

6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of trips to Cozumel?

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when vacatoning in Cozumel?

8. Does your fixation on Cozumel make you careless of your family's welfare?

9. Has your ambition decreased since going to Cozumel?

10. Do you crave a dive in Cozumel at a definite time of day?

11. Do you want a dive in Cozumel the next morning?

12. Does thinking about your next trip to Cozumel cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?

13. Has your efficiency decreased since returning from Cozumel?

14. Are trips to Cozumel jeopardizing your job or business?

15. Do you go to Cozumel to escape from worries or trouble?

16. Do you dive Cozumel alone?

17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of diving Cozumel?

18. Has your physician ever treated you for diving Cozumel?

19. Do you brag about your trips to Cozumel to build up your self-confidence?

20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of diving Cozumel?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be a Cozumelholic.

If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are a Cozumelholic.

If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely a Cozumelholic.

(Apologies to Robert V. Seliger, MD, Johns Hopkins University Hospital.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom