Blue Carbon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I saw this article on Mongabay: Countries can transform the climate crisis with ocean-based action (commentary)

I was struck in particular by this paragraph:
"As well as the potentially devastating impact on the ocean’s ecosystems, unabated climate change could reduce the economic potential of the coral reef tourism industry by 90% by 2100 causing economic losses of up to 95% in those countries that rely heavily on coral reef tourism."

As we know, "coral reef tourism" is us. But I appreciated the article's overall positive outlook: the oceans, not as victims of climate change, but tools for helping to mitigate it -- that mangroves, seagrass beds, and salt marshes sequester 10 times as much carbon, area for area, as forests. So when it comes to protecting habitat, protecting these marine ecosystems gives a lot of "bang for your buck."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom