Blue Heron Bridge Dive tips....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost Diver #

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I’m headed to Miami in a few weeks a figured I’d drive up and dive the bridge, I’ve never been there and was wondering if anyone had any tips or maybe a guide recommendation since I’ll be alone, I don’t mind diving solo but also don’t mind hiring someone to show me the good spots.

I got to dive it once (my report, & others gave some good input in the thread); the guide would be a good idea, as hopefully he/she will tow the flag (required) and you can handle a camera and take some photos. This was before the events referenced by Lionfish-eater's linked thread; I wonder if it's much different now? DAN's Alert Diver Online magazine has an article on it.

Richard.

Dropbox - Capture.JPG

Here's a link to a generic map. I think I pulled it from Pura Vida LDS right around the corner from BHB. You'll want to check out their website for an idea what to expect and that's where we rented our tanks from. If you can, be there when they do a free night tour, unfortunately we could not.

There were at least 3 solo divers there when we were.

Bought a flag before we went for about the same price to rent one. You can rent a flag from whatever shop you get tanks at.

My experience (before the BHB was raped as @lionfish-eater mentioned) was magic. While I don't at all agree with what the collectors did in the above post, I can't imagine that you'd notice as there was an unbelievable amount of life there.

To me, it has everything a shore dive could be. It was my first BHB experience and my wife's 3rd dive out of OW cert. We both fell in love. We spent 2hrs 20mins on one dive and didn't even get to see all of it. Started at the east end and worked our way west. I wish we made it all the way as just when we were leaving had a local tell us there's a good bit of life around a sailboat on the west end.

Watch for fisherman. I believe one cast directly at me, but whatever.

We did not hire a guide and really you don't need one although I'm sure if we had we might of seen more. I laminated the above map and took it, worked great. It really is a pretty straight forward site.

Be aware of the tide, jump in n hr or so before high tide for best vis. I'm used to quarry diving, so even when vis started to deteriorate it was still pretty good in my book. Being able to see 20' is a good day, but to each his own.

One more thing. Be careful with your vehicle. We didn't experience anything, but we were told smash and grabs were prevolent. Don't leave anything of value in plain sight. We had a rental with a keyless fob, so I got the lifeguard to hold it for us. He was more than willing but also said he wasn't responsible. (1/2 through the dive I started to ask myself what type of middle aged guy was a lifeguard at the BHB on a Wed, had to push that thought out of my mind, lol)

Good luck.

Edit - Wanted to add, because we brought all our own gear, total for the dive was $26 (tanks / weights for 2). I know diving isn't cheap, but this one was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom