Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it was great!
I've known the REEF folks and acknowledge phil's bridge/photo expertise but do you have any specifics you can can share.
Wanted to attend but couldn't make time.
Chen from Reef has some great stuff there too!!!
John

The noaa weather forecast for thursday and friday looks much better. todays winds still around 20 knots
gusting to 25 knots. Thursday and friday are showing 5-10 knots with a not so bad wind direction out of
the west south west.

I'm sure it was great!
I've known the REEF folks and acknowledge phil's bridge/photo expertise but do you have any specifics you can can share.
Wanted to attend but couldn't make time.
Chen from Reef has some great stuff there too!!!
John

That's cause Chen dives a 130 at the bridge and does 5 hours at a pop. :D

Blue Heron Bridge's Jupiter Cousin, Cato Bridge in Jupiter

For about 3 years now I have been hearing stories about how this one Jupiter dive site can really produce some very cool fish pictures as well as an occasional shark. Its called the Cato bridge in Tequesta (Jupiter) Florida.

I have not done a complete search for tide locations. I'll research tide reporting locations
and see if I can find a nearby tide table. Great report and photos.

Last edited:
[INLINE=left]http://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/157928_336409103100916_1686228180_n.jpg[/INLINE]We promised to let all you BHB lovers know when we schedule our next FREE BHB night dive, so here it is:

Monday, July 2nd at 7:15 pm.

Please call our Riviera Beach store at 561-845-2333 to sign up.

We recommend all divers have a primary light, back up light and tank light. Please try to show up at least 45 minutes before start time so we can get everyone settled and in the water on time. This includes giving yourself enough time to swing by the store to sign your waivers and pick up your parking pass.

Hope to see you there!

Blue Heron Bridge's Jupiter Cousin, Cato Bridge in Jupiter

For about 3 years now I have been hearing stories about how this one Jupiter dive site can really produce some very cool fish pictures as well as an occasional shark. Its called the Cato bridge in Tequesta (Jupiter) Florida.

IMG_5537.jpg

My 1st attempt at Cato was 4 months ago and it kicked my butt. I slipped on a rock, my old wornout camera housing leaked, and I mis-timed up the high tide mark. I'm a dumb, stubborn redneck and I'll get back on the horse if I get kicked off the 1st time.

This bridge ain't as pretty, polished and refined as it's cousin BHB, starting with one of two entrances if you like the short steep way.

IMG_5529.jpg

There is a lot of similarities in this bridge family. Both BHB and Cato are just about a 1/2 mile from their inlets which provides plenty of clear water at high tide. They both harbor lots of small tropicals, cool stuff and the rocks have many places to hide.

But Cato is much harder. Since there is no island to protect you from the current, your dive window is shorter at 40 mins. 20 before and 20 after or you're headed for the inlet! Also there no fresh water showers, picnic benches, restrooms and not even a playground with Jungle Jim like BHB! Heck they only cut the grass when it's shoulder high. The charm is that you usually have the whole place to yourself.

You park your car in the handful of spaces ahead of the bridge tender's car and suit up there. Since its at the bottom of the hill, you cross over the guard rail and walk on the flat grass to the water, its pretty easy. (Both picts)

IMG_5553.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

There is either a small beach entry 50ft south of the bridge or you can enter on the smooth concrete under the bridge. Here's a picture of both entrance points

IMG_5533.jpg

IMG_5535.jpg

Top-down of the smooth concrete entry
IMG_5555.jpg

We got hit with 4-6 foot waves Sunday morning and it dumped a bunch of crud in the water, so I have lots of backscatter in the underwater images.

I started south of the bridge and let the current nudge me towards the pilings. Also since the prop boats come much closer to the shore, you need a good sense of direction as well as a big redneck dive flag and put a Bud/Nascar/S&W label on the top red part for additional distance respect. South of the bridge is a lot of sand and a few tree branches.

IMG_1653_001.jpg

IMG_1657_001.jpg

Trash is here too, just not as many bottles and stuff.

IMG_1667_001.jpg

There still are plenty of fish south of the bridge, but they are schools and hang mid column. This fish would lay flat in sand and then would take off like a rocket as soon as my strobe went off. Pretty sure this is the fastest 7 inch long fish I've ever seen underwater.

IMG_1670_001.jpg

Still some structure but not as much as directly under the bridge.

IMG_1680_001.jpg

IMG_1688_001.jpg

As you work your way north towards the bridge, the boulders increase and so does the size of fish.

IMG_1693_001.jpg

IMG_1698_001.jpg

IMG_1703_001.jpg

Don't bite my finger,,,, cause I bite back !!

IMG_1715_001.jpg

The bridge is a draw bridge and it opens and closes while you are underwater every 30 minutes. Sounds pretty cool too, like a kinda soft whiney sound. The main support bridge looks like a giant concrete block in the above pictures. Go diving under it and it's totally different. Instead its a hollow cave underneath. The cave has 2 big 10ft square openings side by side. As I came up on it to look inside, a small nurse shark that must have been sleeping inside bolted out the other opening. I never had the chance to get my finger on the shutter. I tried to get a good picture of the cave but this is the best I could get showing the corner and the sand slope inside of it.

IMG_1727_001.jpg

The north side of the bridge has more rocks and small critters hiding in them. Mister hogfish recognized me immediately and tried to flee. I still got shot of him on digital.

IMG_1736_001.jpg

They say underwater critters have their own built in GPS.
Too many “Recalculatings” going on in his head and won't stop to ask for directions.

IMG_1741_001.jpg

There a short boat fender bumper system supported by concrete pilings like BHB. The bigger fish will move with the tide but just like BHB can be found moving around here.

IMG_1745_001.jpg

Three different types of crabs and they all got pinchers.

IMG_1757_001.jpg

Tiny fish fighting with a small lobster. The lobster won with a whack of his antenna.

IMG_1768_001.jpg

Lastly, if you use the guard rain supports, it's actually pretty easy to don and doff your gear, even in the rain.

IMG_1802_001.jpg

So you are probably asking, should you dive Cato? It's really a different dive site from BHB. Little bit rougher, fish are bigger and it's more challenging photo wise. I'd still rank BHB above Cato. 1st it's a bigger area with 2 huge sides and also the outfront BHB area of shopping carts, mooring balls and double the dive time. Just my 2 cents, but if you don't dive the bridges often then BHB is better. But if you have dove BHB a lot and looking for a new challenge and interesting area, then Cato is a great time to explore something new.

This Cato dive took place on Sunday June 24th, 2012

Very night report. Are people allowed to hook and line fish from that bridge?

Got a dive in this afternoon. Was pleasantly surprised with over 30ft vis. Few divers there, not bad for a 3Pm high tide during the week. This was Hermit Crab's first dive of the season. She found the striated (sp) frogfish!!!!

Hi, this is the other (non-female) Ari who visited on Friday.

Just got back from the rest of the trip and wanted to stop in and say it was great meeting y'all. Had an amazing dive. My wife is quite jealous, and we're now pondering a trip consisting of a week of BHB dives--one long dive per day. Crazy? Maybe :)

I sliced-and-diced some video together in a crude fashion. I'm almost too intimidated to post it here--it's just unlit footage from a ContourROAM, pasted together with Kdenlive--but figured I might as well memorialize the day.

[vimeo]44805593[/vimeo]

Y'all are very lucky to have a place like this in your backyard!

Best,
Ari

Hi, this is the other (non-female) Ari who visited on Friday.

Just got back from the rest of the trip and wanted to stop in and say it was great meeting y'all. Had an amazing dive. My wife is quite jealous, and we're now pondering a trip consisting of a week of BHB dives--one long dive per day. Crazy? Maybe :)

I sliced-and-diced some video together in a crude fashion. I'm almost too intimidated to post it here--it's just unlit footage from a ContourROAM, pasted together with Kdenlive--but figured I might as well memorialize the day.

[vimeo]44805593[/vimeo]

Y'all are very lucky to have a place like this in your backyard!

Best,
Ari

Welcome to our world. I can think of no finer weeks vacation than one spent at BHB. Just check the tide chart & pick your week. Lots of great subjects in your video Thanks for posting. FYI "Our" Ari is an eagle eyed macro finder of the Nth degree finding miniscule subjects that are very hard to see. You have found & captured on film those subjects all can see & enjoy. The 2 Aris now give us the best of both worlds macro & micro & oh yes normal to boot!
BHB will be waiting for you & your wife to visit again & try a night dive while you are here-It will be AWESOME.
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom