Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear the Smithsonian has a new iPhone app for fish ID. Some of the photos were taken at the bridge. :)

I've decided not to trudge back down to the bridge until I get caught up a bit with my pics, including putting some name-tags on them. Making some progress, but it's very frustrating when I don't find easy answers to the ID's. I like "easy". :D

Always a chore and I share your frustration. But if it were easy, there'd be no challenge. Hopefully trekking down to the bridge the week after Thanksgiving. Taking the wife along for her first visit to the bridge and I'll hopefully be shooting my D600 UW for the first time. Just updated to the VR version of the 105 as well. Not that VR is going to help any with macro, but the faster focus should help.

Just to kick it one more time... here is the description of the Planehead Filefish from "Fishes of the Caribbean":
Description:

"Its body is compact and thick, has a slightly concave to straight dorsal profile from the snout to the origin of the first dorsal spine (inclined at ~45 degrees), and may be gray, tan, brownish, or greenish, with irregular dark blotches, spots, and streaks. The first dorsal spine is thick with two rows of barbs, the second dorsal fin has 31-34 rays, and the anal fin has 31-33 rays. The male's second dorsal fin has a very elongate first ray. This fish grows to a length of about 9 inches.

[Note: The name was changed from Monacanthus hispidus by the American Fisheries Society in 2003]."

---------- Post Merged at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:38 PM ----------

I hear the Smithsonian has a new iPhone app for fish ID. Some of the photos were taken at the bridge. :)

Thanks, but the only Ap I could find was Eastern Pacific: http://successfulreefkeeping.com/free-fun/new-free-fish-id-app/ .
Let me know if anyone finds others...

---------- Post Merged at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Thanks, Wet. But, if I have to go counting fin rays, then I'm just gonna do without. :D Interestingly, the marine biologist whom I've been pestering some suggested that he wouldn't be surprised if all these guys at the bridge were versions of the planehead.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalblock/8103773416/in/set-72157631807997598/lightbox/
Call me anal, but... ray count is 27 - unlikely to be planehead. Rules in Pygmy - no fin ray count for Fringed.

IMG_4938wa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Call me anal, but... ray count is 27 - unlikely to be planehead. Rules in Pygmy - no fin ray count for Fringed.

I get 28. :D But, I'm going with fringed now with most of em. Thanks. :)

---------- Post Merged at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Taking the wife along for her first visit to the bridge and I'll hopefully be shooting my D600 UW for the first time. Just updated to the VR version of the 105 as well.

[Note: The name was changed from Monacanthus hispidus by the American Fisheries Society in 2003]."

Had to look up the D600 as I'm a Canon guy. That's a pretty fancy camera. I'm guessing that Nikon also changes each version enough that a previous housing won't do you any good. How many old housings/doorstops do you have lying around? :D

My "Word" document section for the planehead can now be modified from:

Planehead Filefish (Monacanthus hispidus)
Planehead Filefish (Stephanolepis hispidus)

Thank you. :D

Anybody have a guess what the viz will be after the storm? Had planned on Mon. 29th - Wed 31st.

Thanks in advance,

Should have directed this question to locals who dive the bridge regularly and familiar with conditions after a storm.

Last edited:
Had to look up the D600 as I'm a Canon guy. That's a pretty fancy camera. I'm guessing that Nikon also changes each version enough that a previous housing won't do you any good. How many old housings/doorstops do you have lying around? :D

It's a disease... I was able to sell my D70 housing, but still have an Aquatica for an 8008s and an Ikelite for a Canon F1 w/Speedfinder. Lots of ports and parts laying around... Hopefully, the D90 is new enough that I'll find a buyer.

Can't think of a better place to test out the new rig than BHB. Even have the wife excited about going there.

How many old housings/doorstops do you have lying around? :D
Thankfully shooting Oly has been less of a monetary burden. First case for a C-5000z was $70 and the camera was $80, both on ebay. Then came a DSLR in an Oly housing and E-420. Nicely enough the lenses, ports, memory and mounts carried over to an E-620. I have done some of my best shooting with it, and it keeps going.

Next up is an OM-D EM-5 but only for wide angle and 1080 video.

I still use the C-5000z in wet conditions and it does a good job.

Wanted to dive the bridge Sunday morning, any idea on if its feasible to do this considering the sea conditions? The storm will have passed by then and the waterway is fairly sheltered. Either way I'll most likely go check it out.

Wanted to dive the bridge Sunday morning, any idea on if its feasible to do this considering the sea conditions? The storm will have passed by then and the waterway is fairly sheltered. Either way I'll most likely go check it out.

What ever is out there is what washes in on the tide. So, if it is murky out there then most likely it will be murky at BHB. With that said, even in low viz there is still lots to be seen. My buddies and I dive it with low viz and we still have a good dive. It helps to know the area and have good compass skills. lol. We are planning on diving Tuesday so please post the water conditions, temp and viz. Although, that could change by Tuesday! Have a good dive Sunday.

I really appreciate the response DiveDivaDM. I'll definitely report back on conditions as I appreciate when others do this! I'll make sure to have a few lights for the dive, most likely stay on the east side. I'm sure the conditions well be much better on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom