Blue Heron today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Nice long dive. Viz so-so. Creatures?

White mantis shrimp (will post photo)
Sand snapping shrimp
Eagle Ray
Garden eels
Big school of spade fish
scorpion fish (big chunky one)
Spotted drum
Big sheepshead
Horseshoe crab

Nice long dive. Viz so-so. Creatures?

White mantis shrimp (will post photo)
Sand snapping shrimp
Eagle Ray
Garden eels
Big school of spade fish
scorpion fish (big chunky one)
Spotted drum
Big sheepshead
Horseshoe crab

I dove BHB last Friday (7/17). Interested to see if the mantis that you found is the same one that I found. I found it in 6-7 feet of water, maybe 100 feet east of the swim zone in the sand. I believe it was a scaly tailed mantis. Maybe 7"-8" long (it was burrowed so just an estimate). We were swimming back from the east bridge at the end of a 110 minute dive and just happened to come across it. It was the icing on an already great dive.

I dove BHB last Friday (7/17). Interested to see if the mantis that you found is the same one that I found. I found it in 6-7 feet of water, maybe 100 feet east of the swim zone in the sand. I believe it was a scaly tailed mantis. Maybe 7"-8" long (it was burrowed so just an estimate). We were swimming back from the east bridge at the end of a 110 minute dive and just happened to come across it. It was the icing on an already great dive.

Interesting. I think it was a white mantis. Someone correct me if wrong.
9CBE8BB3-66CF-412C-81B6-DFB386B168A9.jpeg

I can’t say for certain but it appears to be the same species I saw. Going by the description in Paul Humann’s Reef Creatures book I think it’s a scaly tailed mantis. I’m no expert tho. Great pic!

I can’t say for certain but it appears to be the same species I saw. Going by the description in Paul Humann’s Reef Creatures book I think it’s a scaly tailed mantis. I’m no expert tho. Great pic!

Definitely sounds like the same location where you spotted it, Very likely the same creature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom