Blue Light Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterLL

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
I have recently got lights for some underwater videography. The camera I use is a GoPro Hero 11, and I have two 120 degree wide-beam lights from AliExpress. They're approximately 10,000 lumens each and 5500k. While I own red filters for my GoPro, due to the small sensor and poor low-light performance, I prefer to leave it unfiltered and colour correct in post production.
However, I am considering obtaining blue filters for my two video lights, so that they match the ambient light in the background. I.e. instead of having a foreground that is illuminated full spectrum by my lights and a background that is blue ambient, the entire image is ambient blue meaning colour correction is applied to the entire image/video.
I would likely get some relatively cheap blue filter sheets to glue over my lights.
Is this recommended and what are peoples experience using a blue light (with or without a red filter - my plan is to go without).

The problem is that the color temperature of the ambient light is very much depth dependent. I think this might get very tricky very fast.
Bill

Good color isn't easy. I use a grey card, manual white balance nearly every shot and still struggle to get color I love. Part of the problem for me is a Sony with 8 bit color that doesn't manual white balance well. Could also be the relatively low viz fresh water I dive😂

I've been using some Kraken blue filters... Kraken suggests a usable range of 4-12m. They're a partial solution. Perfect color in a fairly narrow depth range ( a couple meters). Outside of that either too blue or too red. I tend to keep the ambient light filters on below 5-8 meters, but most of what I shoot is 2-5m where a 1/2 power blue filter would be helpful.

You might find this interesting... "Matching Filter Techniques".

Also check out GoPro's Labs Firmware... I don't shoot one, but if I understand correctly it allows you to lock in the the WB balance at the beginning of a shot.

good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom