• Welcome to ScubaBoard

  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Blue Manta / White Manta LA - restrictive covid rebooking policy

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by scubaNYC16, Sep 22, 2020.

  1. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    245
    43
    Has anyone had any luck re-booking their trip without having to make payment in full? Their policy is very restrictive and not consumer friendly and one of the few LA making people pay in full to rebook. My RA trip is planned for Xmas and I don't feel comfortable paying in full to rebook and think the policy is quite rude to be honest. I thought that if the govt is not allowing tourists in, their policy would become more flexible but nothing has changed.

    Latest info I received from Liveaboard.com-


    The operator has let us know that they have not had official government policies confirmed as of yet.
    Recently in Indonesia, a number of politicians have made various announcements that are not actually backed by actual government policy which makes things a little jumbled.

    The operator is currently waiting for concrete and verified news before making any decisions.

    At this time, the opertor is waiting until 30 days before the trip before making the final decision, at which point their Covid-19 booking assurance is available.


    Please find the COVID-19 Booking assurance details below;

    * For those with existing bookings, unable to travel due to COVID-19 related flight / travel bans or who are suffering from related symptoms, if you are not insured for your trip, or your insurance declines coverage for your costs, we can offer to reschedule you to a future KM Blue Manta / New White Manta trip with the following conditions*;

    1. Offer valid for 24 months from original trip date, non-transferable, not to be combined with another offer, subject to availability.

    2. New trip price must be less than or equal to original trip booking. If the new trip is of greater value the balance must be collected in full at the time of rescheduling.

    3. For whom travel plans have been made impossible due flight ban / cancellation, travel restrictions / or stay home notices.

    4. Are unable to travel due to symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or have a travel or contact history which indicates possible exposure within 15 days of departure (Doctors note is required)

    5. Who have made full balance payment. Note; if this trip is not able to go when your final Balance of Payment is due, we shall reassess 30 days prior trip departure.

    6. Note; anyone choosing simply not to travel due to fear of the outbreak is subject to normal cancellation terms.

    7. Offer valid for 24 months* (subject to review & depending on continuance of COVID-19 travel issues may be extended)
     
  2. SeaWarden

    SeaWarden Nassau Grouper

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Singapore
    141
    28
    28
    They might not be around after COVID. I won't take the risk.
     
    billt4sf likes this.
  3. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,568
    1,435
    113
    I’d bet if you just refused they would likely bend in the longrun if the boat wasn’t full, but I’d also make sure I had cancellation insurance incase they went bust etc.

    I’m in Egypt now and the boats are saying one thing, but being completely flexible with no alternative.

    I do believe that boats should give 100% refund if they cancel due to lack of numbers: also that divers should lose 100% of their money if they can physically make it to the boat but chose not to. With a need to prove cancelled flights etc.

    that being said. Here at the moment few people are paying anything upfront, most are just confirming and paying 24/48 hours before sailing.
     
  4. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    245
    43
    The agent said they are firm and they haven’t made any exceptions for anyone. And yes my concerns are paying in full and the company goes out of business and the virus will likely still be around for the next 1-2 years when I would need to travel.
     
  5. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,568
    1,435
    113
    All due respect but I wouldn’t rely exclusively on the agent. Liveaboard.com told me 3 things wouldn’t happen with this trip that then happened when I contacted the boat directly and cut them out. (Not financially, just cut them out of the discussion/dealing)

    but that’s just my experience. What are they saying will happen if you refuse to pay the full amount now? Obviously they can say they won’t have a guaranteed spot for you, blah,blah. But when the time comes... Did you book with credit card? If the boat/date you agreed to sail on doesn’t sail, then the owness is on them, not you.

    I appreciate it doesn’t help you now, but I honestly think there is going to be a big market for ‘I’ll pay 72 hours before departure’ over the next year +. May require more flexibility on boat/route than some are comfortable with though, but I suspect it will be a buyers market for single travellers or groups under 5
     
  6. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    245
    43
    I didn't think to contact the boat directly, I thought liveaboard.com would have more pull. I can certainly try that but I don't think they should require any more payment with such a large deposit. Yes, I paid by credit card and will check with them to see if they will protect me if boat does not sail.
     
  7. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,568
    1,435
    113
    They will likely tow a similar line to the agent but then flex if pushed. The question is ‘what happens if i agree the reschedule but refuse to pay full amount in advance?’ The key thing with the credit card is that you have the tool of recharge if the boat doesn’t sail as it’s them failing to uphold the contract. That alone may garner movement as a recharge through credit card will possibly cost them money as well and the credit card company works for you, so as long as you have tried to resolve it and the operator is being inflexible, then you can demand recharge from visa etc and just be done with it.

    I’m not saying be aggressive, but fair is fair. If they cancel the boat and you aren’t demanding refund, then there needs to be flexibility. No way I would pay full op front and none of my rescheduled liveaboards to 2021 have demanded it. It’s balance 30 days before sailing on new date.
     
    scubaNYC16 likes this.
  8. scubaNYC16

    scubaNYC16 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: New York, NY
    368
    245
    43
    FYI they came to their senses and changed policy allowing people to rebook without having to pay the balance.
     
  9. Ministryofgiraffes

    Ministryofgiraffes Loggerhead Turtle

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Toronto
    1,568
    1,435
    113
    They probably decided that they wanted to stay in business...
     
    chillyinCanada and scubaNYC16 like this.

Share This Page