Blue Springs Waldron Indiana Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear that. I do wonder though, how does one end up in that situation? Is it common practice to put that much time and effort into fixing up a place when all you have is a contract? Wouldn't a prudent person wait until they actually owned the property?

I'm not taking sides. I just honestly don't understand how something like this happens. Obviously Rick hasn't broken the law. He may be unethical, underhanded, and a dirty scoundrel, but none of those are illegal in and of themselves. Sounds like he didn't do anything criminal, at least not in the eyes of the law. Perhaps a civil lawsuit? But that's just more money down the drain.

Sorry to see things go so sour.

Okay, so I'm thoroughly confused now. If the website is not operational by the actual owners, then how do I know who to contact or when I can go to Blue Springs again? This will be my first time diving at Blue Springs, and it's not even a stones throw away from my hometown (Shelbyville.)

Can someone please direct me to the correct contact information?

Thank you!

Okay, so I'm thoroughly confused now. If the website is not operational by the actual owners, then how do I know who to contact or when I can go to Blue Springs again? This will be my first time diving at Blue Springs, and it's not even a stones throw away from my hometown (Shelbyville.)

Can someone please direct me to the correct contact information?

Thank you!

I would if I knew, but I don't have a clue. I'm not sure anyone does.

last I heard the place was shut down as they did not renew insurance. Don't know if true or not.

last I heard the place was shut down as they did not renew insurance. Don't know if true or not.

That's too bad. How much sense does that make? He backs out of the sale only to end up closing the doors? Why not just go through with the sale over a year ago and he'd now have money in the bank. It doesn't make any sense.

Well that's a shame. I went past there today to look at the place, and it has such potential!! I watched YouTube videos of the last time it was operational. Very cool stuff. I mean, I can understand that it takes money to make money, but... Blue Springs is like a hidden gem for Indiana. And opening it up would be great for the town of Waldron. It's just so sad to drive past there and see all the weeds and gunk growing all over the place. Even if you don't open it up as a place to dive, open it up as a recreational center. Have the Boy or Girl Scouts earn merit badges by helping clean up the place! Have a volunteer day and see what kind of clean up you can get done out there! With as many people that are wanting or have wanted or are hoping that Blue Springs opens back up, I think the turnout could do some good and maybe remind the owners just how many people would love to see it opened back up!

On another note, I watched the video of when the paddlefish were released out there. Is anyone taking care of those fish? Clearly the upkeep on the grounds isn't happening, but does that mean the fish have all died? It would be a shame for those animals to suffer like that.

the sad part is that all of that was being done; it was a great dive location before the flood. After that I took students twice in 4 years. The fish should probably be OK, paddlefish are plankton feeders, so nothing to take care of there.

the sad part is that all of that was being done; it was a great dive location before the flood. After that I took students twice in 4 years. The fish should probably be OK, paddlefish are plankton feeders, so nothing to take care of there.

What flood?

What flood?

The quarry flooded in spring of 2008 when central IN was hit by really heavy rain in a short period of time. I think it was 2008? The creek that runs next to the quarry overflowed and filled the quarry with silt-filled water. The depth of the quarry went up something like 15' in just an hour or two. Some people diving there at the time actually had their vehicles flooded. It's taken a LONG time for the viz to improve. It's actually never returned to its pre-flood visibility. Blue Springs used to have biz that would rival Gilboa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom