Blunt or Pointed Scuba Knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good line cutter is a better option I think. I use the Benchmade or the Columbia River cutter. Both are really small and easy to mount out of the way, work well for cutting line or exposure control if needed, have a small screw driver tip ( the most used feature on it) and have an O2 valve slot to turn on the O2. The Benchmade has a better nylon pouch which is easier to mount on your gear, the Columbia River one is a bit bigger for gloves, is faster to get out and has needed a little less maintenance. Does't have the cool factor though.

A good line cutter is a better option I think.

A knife, line cutter and shears are made for three different jobs, which sometimes overlap. One tool is better than none, I prefer to carry all three, possibly more depending on the dive. Because I dive solo, I can not depend on a buddy for assistance or to be carrying the tools I lack, which is my second reason for carrying all three.

As for blunt or pointed tip on a knife, I've found that I can use a pointed knife effectively as a pry bar, so I guess the type of knife depends on your intended use, and how safely you handle a knife in general.

Bob
--------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

LOL. Most astute!

Pointy is clearly the way to go. I think that this is the best diving knife for the job. Promate's a pretty solid brand.

Thanks for your input!

Yes. Good call.
Not so sure about the pointed edge tho - don't fancy stabbing myself...

:wink:

One of each. I carry a wenoka squeeze lock with a blunt tip and a BFK with a pointy tip for finishing off lionfish. I also carry a pair of EMS sheers and a line cutter...

Why do people think you're going to lose all coordination just because you're underwater?
I use knives all the time. Even with gloves on. Rarely cut myself, and worrying about doing so never influenced my choice of tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I used a sharp tip on fishing trips and blunt nose when working around coral. I often needed a prying tool or chisel more while working than I needed to stab something. I used the nice small sharp tip mainly to clean my catch when fishing. Been diving for 40 years and never had to stab a shark or anything else in my defense. Adventure-Ocean

I also always wondered why people think they will lose basic motor functions underwater don't get me wrong I'm not gonna try and use a butterfly knife underwater which is something i could do on the surface but basic cutting skills are right up there with breathing or breeding pretty sure most people can do both with little effort

Is got nothing to do about coordination at depth...a bit more about task loading and stressful situations!
and lower viz, and restricted range of motion, and the flailing around of the person you're trying to free, ............ Its like I tell my kids, its not always about you and your ability

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom