Blunt tip, pointed tip, serated, straigh, sheers...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SemperFi

Reaction score
Si I got the feeling from my last post that I do indeed need a knife or sheers of some kind. However as I look at all the options I have before me I am once again lost, maybe more than before!

so wether this is silly or not I gotta ask a few more questions! If I go with a knife, does the tip matter? I collect blades actually but have never even thought of underwater effects on a blade. I assume it would be easier to cut yourself with a point, but I may be wrong! does the seration length matter, if it is even necisary. and does the straight need a curve? or is a flat blade sufficiant!?

Please help once again!

SemperFi:confused:

I normally carry a small blunt tip on my belt and shears in a pocket. If spearfishing I carry a large drop point on my leg as well.
E.

I like to carry a large knife (Pointed) on my leg, a small blunt tip attached to the sholder strap of my backpack, and shears in a pocket.

When I feel I do not need it I can leave off the large knife, but the other two items stay attached so they will always be there.

I carry a 4" blunt tip on my BC shoulder and a pair of shears in my right leg pocket. Shears cut through almost anything you'll encounter, and a knife is a good all around tool to have. I don't do any hunting, so a blunt works for me, and has little chance of accidentally poking a hole in my equipment or me!

Also, in general, smaller blade lengths are usually more desirable, and as far as serration, I would get one with enough length to cut through thick rope/mooring lines (one thing that knives do a better job of cutting through than shears; at least in my experience).

Knives are cool!

I use zeagle emt shears. They have a safety plug over the long tang to prevent accident pokings. they have a serrated blade and will cut through just about anything.

double125's once bubbled...
I use zeagle emt shears. They have a safety plug over the long tang to prevent accident pokings. they have a serrated blade and will cut through just about anything.
We don't call them "penny cutters" for nothing. :)

Infact the best pair i found was "Gerber" and they come with a heavy duty holder that has a weight belt sized loop on the back.

it fits perfectly on my waist strap.

Andy

shears are the most useful. i also carry a folding knife attached to my harness. i never gave the blunt vs point question much thought. my advice regarding knives would be to get something that attaches to your bc harness and not one of those big blades strung around your leg. you lose the james bond appeal but a knife on your bc is much more functional.

I do shears as well. I've got a James Bond knife that sits in a box and never gets used anymore....one of my regrettable newbie purchases along with the magna-doodle slate. Tho I must admit the magna-doodle slate comes in handy for pool sessions with students.

I also have a Remora that I've used a few times when diving a wetsuit, but prefer shears....tuck 'em in my drysuit pocket and they're ready for when I need them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom