DIR- Generic BM Twin Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m looking at the Apeks Tec 3.

I’m using Dive Rite FT first stages now because I had an FT and just got a second one when I went DM doubles. The hose routing is OK and overall a solid reg but been thinking about an upgrade.

The Apeks Tek3 is a pretty terrible reg for backmount twinsets. The hose routing is garbage. The hose routing is no better than your FT first stages and is certainly not what I would call an "upgrade" from the regs that you have now, and most definitely not for the price...
Todays dollars are $1300 for the Tek3 doubles set. If you want to stay with Dive Rite, the XT package would give you a hose routing upgrade for $800 and then you can use your FT's for stage/deco bottles.
Deep6 Signature for $1k will give you a hose routing upgrade, but also a performance upgrade and cheaper maintenance that you can DIY.

I don't think you'll get any meaningful upgrade from switching right now, so unless you need the extra regulators for stage/deco/spare/single tank, then I would hold the money unless there is a crazy black friday sale that you can't resist, but I wouldn't even look at the Tek3's or anything from Apeks for that matter.

My friends with Tek3s love the routing. I tried them and prefer my xtx50s. The 2nd biggest downside to Tek3s, first being the cost, is they are designed to be right and left post specific. Sounds great until you need to use one for something else.

My friends with Tek3s love the routing. I tried them and prefer my xtx50s. The 2nd biggest downside to Tek3s, first being the cost, is they are designed to be right and left post specific. Sounds great until you need to use one for something else.

their hoses certainly don't love the routing.... the bottom port makes life a lot better. If they had one, I wouldn't object to them, but as it stands they are only useful for stage/deco bottles.

Replaced Dive Rite RG2500 with Tek3 on doubles something more than 10 years ago or so.
Prefer Apeks to Dive Rite as Apeks has the same service kit for most of it regs. I.e. my Tek3 and DS4/DST on stages and deco bottles are covered with the same kit.
Since Apeks offered 5th port to DST I wouldn't pay extra for Tek3 now.

P.S. I like the hoses routing on my Tek3, and my hoses are indifferent to it))

I recently moved from single to doubles back mount and went with edge hog regs. They came as part of the package but have been great so far. The D3 sealed first stage coupled with the Zenith regs have been great. Routing has been easy with the turret port.

I think a better way of looking at this issue is to decide what you need and then select a regulator based on it ability to meet those needs.

IMHO a really good back mount first stage would have at least one preferably two LP ports positioned 90 degrees from at least one, preferably two additional LP ports. There would also be a HP port 60-90 degrees from one set of the ports.

What does this get you?

On the right post, you have a long hose without stress going down the right side and a LP inflator hose down low against the bladder. If there are two ports on that side, you have an equally secure drysuit hose. If you run a transmitter, it is protected next to the tank.

On the left post, you have a necklace against the bladder and a potential redundant bladder inflator hose next to it. The HP gauge hose falls down the left side of the bladder.

No sharp bends on any of the hoses and the valves and isolator are completely clear as the hoses are against the bladder.

This approach eliminates virtually all cylindrical shaped first stage bodies including those with ports coming out the bottom on the cap or turret. These also do not have two sets of LP ports facing the same direction as the body is cylindrical. Most fixed body diaphragms with two LPs on each side do not qualify as they have no 90 degree second set of LP ports.

Do such regulators exist?

Yes, at least two. A third will be coming out in 2021. The subject of my next video.

YMMV.

I wouldn't get stuck on the hoses routing only.
I would also consider availability of the service kits, simplicity of service, and also what regulators are mostly used in the team. This would also be useful for sharing spares among the team.

In the US that excludes Apeks and Scubapro...

I wouldn't get stuck on the hoses routing only.
I would also consider availability of the service kits, simplicity of service, and also what regulators are mostly used in the team. This would also be useful for sharing spares among the team.
The shop nearest my home is an Apeks dealer so getting service would be pretty straight forward

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom