Boat coats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Mostly diving the Caribbean, water temps in the 80's, air temps can dip to the low 70's in the winter. Combine that with some wind, spray, and overcast, and it's a little chilly during the SI and return to port.

I'm an avid thrift store hunter - any suggestion for qualities to look for in something that would make a good boat coat?

Synthetic material/fleece (esp lining). Water and wind resistant. Quick dry. Pockets and I prefer hood.

For your situation, which is like mine, lightweight and compact are essential features. I use a synthetic shell from Outdoor Research (I have an older model than this link but it's the same idea) that folds into itself to form a package about as big as a sandwich and weights less than 7 ounces. I bought it for backpacking--space and weight were primary considerations. I always tuck it in my dive bag along with the first aid kit, and it provides plenty of warmth and wind/rain protection for the situations you describe.

Just back from Bahamas, and I could have used a nice lightweight, compact jacket for SIs.

This thread is a few years old. All the he links are 404 dead. Any "fresh" recommendations out there?

In the tropics, I just take a good rain shell and this does the trick.

however, see recent discussion for other options…

Surf-Fur all the way! My jacket has been a life saver. It provides warmth (soft on the inside), it's water resistant and wind resistant.

Two options. Cheap or expensive, both work, but more money buys slightly more comfort and better looking.

Cheap is PVC shell with fleece/wool jumper underneath. PVC is super waterproof and the wool/fleece allows your skin to breathe and stops you from getting clammy. Look for features like a high collar and a good hood.

Expensive is any one of the fancy breatheable fabrics like goretex. These trend to have a nice built in fleece liner and will keep you really dry too. They do require proper care and don't last as long as the cheap option above.

I've been coastal yacht racing for years on a completely exposed boat, so I have seen and tried most off the options you can get.

Back
Top Bottom