• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Boat coats

Discussion in 'Apparel' started by WetInPortland, Jan 17, 2019.

1. WetInPortland

WetInPortland Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Mostly diving the Caribbean, water temps in the 80's, air temps can dip to the low 70's in the winter. Combine that with some wind, spray, and overcast, and it's a little chilly during the SI and return to port.

I'm an avid thrift store hunter - any suggestion for qualities to look for in something that would make a good boat coat?

2. Texasguy

Texasguy Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  3. Rich Keller

Rich Keller Solo Diver

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
  4. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Synthetic material/fleece (esp lining). Water and wind resistant. Quick dry. Pockets and I prefer hood.

TGIF likes this.
  5. scrane

scrane Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Zip front hoodie + plastic rain parka. Keep you warm and dry but not in fashion.

FreeFlyFreak likes this.
  6. Scraps

Scraps Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    For your situation, which is like mine, lightweight and compact are essential features. I use a synthetic shell from Outdoor Research (I have an older model than this link but it's the same idea) that folds into itself to form a package about as big as a sandwich and weights less than 7 ounces. I bought it for backpacking--space and weight were primary considerations. I always tuck it in my dive bag along with the first aid kit, and it provides plenty of warmth and wind/rain protection for the situations you describe.