Boat Diving after Prostate Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
not looking forward to surgery of prostate due to the life altering complications that follow.
Read threads of how physically it's OK to dive (which is nice to hear. If I had to give up diving, I’d probably return to my same pre diving days of being a depressed "why live?" Person.)
But no one answered this one gnawing question: how do you handle the leakage on the dive boat? You’re making a puddle before you dive. You’re making a puddle in the dive shop doing the paperwork. In general, you’re just in a bad embarrassing situation. I don’t see how diapers are an option due to getting soaked while diving. And, dive boats in the Caribbean don’t tend to have a head.
shore diving in the States only goes so far to feed the need.
Thank you for informative replies.

One good thing is, you're not at a State dinner, you're on a dive boat, with plenty of open deck area, and breeze, especially while underway. And divers generally are much more casual about bodies and bodily functions than the average social or business gathering.
Peeing in wetsuits is an open secret, and asking the DM or captian if you can take a quick dip or swim between dives, is not uncommon. If there's a dive-deck shower, you could camouflage and rinse leakage there??
You have more listed dives than me, so I'm not telling you anything new. I don't know your situation in detail, but I'd think diving would be pretty high on the you-can-probably-get-away-with-it scale.

One good thing is, you're not at a State dinner, you're on a dive boat, with plenty of open deck area, and breeze, especially while underway. And divers generally are much more casual about bodies and bodily functions than the average social or business gathering.
Peeing in wetsuits is an open secret, and asking the DM or captian if you can take a quick dip or swim between dives, is not uncommon. If there's a dive-deck shower, you could camouflage and rinse leakage there??
You have more listed dives than me, so I'm not telling you anything new. I don't know your situation in detail, but I'd think diving would be pretty high on the you-can-probably-get-away-with-it scale.

You gVe some great ideas. Get to back of boat and let it rip. And yes, especially in Cold California water, nothing better than a warm pee in your wetsuit.
Thank you.

Our dive boat operators don't like divers to urinate in their wetsuits because the carpet really stinks later.

Sorry to hear about your prostrate problem. Had mine removed by DaVinci robotic surgery 18 months ago. Recovery was extremely fast - just a few weeks. Asked my GP (who is also a diver) if I could go back to diving at 4 weeks time. He said to wait till 6 weeks after the surgery. Was diving exactly to the day.

Solved the incontinence problem by going to a drysuit and wearing a pad. Dove like that for the next twelve months till the incontinence resolved itself.

My father had his prostate removed with the robot. It was an interesting talk considering i’m The diver in the family so pee valves and condom caths we’re old news.

My biggest piece of advice, get the robot surgery. All of the prep and the pads and the carbs and bags turned out all for naught. A week later he had full control with no side effects. Now co privations do happen, and there are side effects, but they are GREATLY diminished by use of the DaVinci robot, and with some people, like my father, are virtually nonexistent. I don’t want to get your hopes up, but by all means hedge your bets in as many ways as you can.

And seriously, get the robot job, minimally invasive, high success rates, short recovery times. My dad was home in less than 24 hours and has been cancer free for just shy of 2 years now and every yes keeps coming back normal.

You are talking about prostrate removal, not a prostrate 'rooter rooter job' for benign prostrate hypertrophy?
Wouldn't a drysuit p-valve work? I don't see any reason one could not be installed in a wetsuit. Unconventional maybe....but why not?

Our dive boat operators don't like divers to urinate in their wetsuits because the carpet really stinks later.

Sorry to hear about your prostrate problem. Had mine removed by DaVinci robotic surgery 18 months ago. Recovery was extremely fast - just a few weeks. Asked my GP (who is also a diver) if I could go back to diving at 4 weeks time. He said to wait till 6 weeks after the surgery. Was diving exactly to the day.

Solved the incontinence problem by going to a drysuit and wearing a pad. Dove like that for the next twelve months till the incontinence resolved itself.

How was diving in Drysuit in warmer Caribbean/Gulf Coast waters? Or, were you Pacific/Great Lakes? I do believe this Doc uses the Robot. Don't think my Hematologist/Oncologist would have suggested him if not. Never seen a dive boat with carpet. That's a new one.
Thank you!

You are talking about prostrate removal, not a prostrate 'rooter rooter job' for benign prostrate hypertrophy?
Wouldn't a drysuit p-valve work? I don't see any reason one could not be installed in a wetsuit. Unconventional maybe....but why not?

This a new idea. Not too up on drysuits. Just used a wetsuitwith heat packs while Pacific diving during Navy days. Let's research! Thank you!

My father had his prostate removed with the robot. It was an interesting talk considering i’m The diver in the family so pee valves and condom caths we’re old news.

My biggest piece of advice, get the robot surgery. All of the prep and the pads and the carbs and bags turned out all for naught. A week later he had full control with no side effects. Now co privations do happen, and there are side effects, but they are GREATLY diminished by use of the DaVinci robot, and with some people, like my father, are virtually nonexistent. I don’t want to get your hopes up, but by all means hedge your bets in as many ways as you can.

And seriously, get the robot job, minimally invasive, high success rates, short recovery times. My dad was home in less than 24 hours and has been cancer free for just shy of 2 years now and every yes keeps coming back normal.

I pray and keep fingers crossed for that type of recovery. Because I've always been willing to give 100%+ in recovery, have managed to bounce back for some decent injuries and surgeries. Great to hear about cancer free.
Thank you for insight and reply!

This a new idea. Not too up on drysuits. Just used a wetsuitwith heat packs while Pacific diving during Navy days. Let's research! Thank you!

A P-valve is just a 'drain' It won't deal with incontinence/leakage, unless you deliberately turn it off and on. Some are balanced and adjustable, some are not adjustable so you can't do anything but 'P'.
There are also unbalanced that you have something you can turn on/off.....I think. I've always used an adjustable so have no first hand knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom