Boat diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinmanJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Are you a picky boat diver? What types of boats have you dove from? Would you dive from this boat? (not ocean diving. lake diving.)
boat.jpg

Not much room for gear, and reboarding would be a pain.

Not much room for gear, and reboarding would be a pain.

You would have to be a little creative to dive from that boat, but it can be done. Also, remember that the fins above the prop on the outboard motor are not a step. I've seen some pretty nasty cuts where people have slipped and dragged their foot across a sharp prop.

Given some of the boats that I have dove off overseas, I would dive from that boat. I would just rig something up to clip my gear to in the water instead of trying to climb a flimsy portable ladder fully geared up.

Arks! Where's the galley and the cook!? Where do I go if I need a pee - or do I just use the large lavatory overboard!? :D

Just kidding - I wouldn't call myself a picky boat diver but in general I like to dive from larger boats with a bit of comfort - either working or on holiday. Of course I'm at sea for 8 or more hours a day so it's not the same as a small team diving in a lake when you can pootle back to shore for lunch. I've dived from plenty of RIBs but not an ickle motorboat as pictured above. Would I? Probably yes if it was just me and a friend going to see something particular for a single dive, but as TSandM says, not a lot of room and getting back on board would not be the best experience in the world, but no worse than the average RIB. I wouldn't personally want to make it a regular experience though.

gh2.jpg

This is one of the boats I have the pleasure of working on... different strokes and all that! :)

Cheers

C.

The whole point about boat diving really is to get you and your gear to the dive site that may be inaccessible by a surface swim or to simply avoid a surface swim, surf, surge etc and to pick up a diver should they drift away in a current and can't swim back on their own. The entry on these dives is really easy and doesn't take a whole lot of effort. I don't really care what kind of boat it is if it gets me there. The NAUI master class at my LDS has people get into a kayak and paddle out to the dive site with all their gear on then roll over to get in and tow the kayak back on a line. I would be up for that too.

Things to consider on a boat dive (some have been mentioned already): Room for your gear pre and post dive, bathroom, cover (for windy days and/or rain etc), the conditions of the water; large swells aren't going to be very fun in a Zodiak, getting back into the boat after the dive. Should have enough room for a non diver to act as surface support and think about balance too; if you only have 2 people diving remember that when they are on the edge and roll off the balance on something really small will shift dramatically so anyone or anything else on the boat could be in danger of going over too. The same would apply for getting back on. Even though it's all good to think about diving and returning safely you also need to consider what happens if there is an emergency. If a diver returns to the surface with an unconscious diver you better have a plan in place for dealing with a situation should it arise. Hopefully nothing bad ever happens but be prepared nonetheless.

Arks! Where's the galley and the cook!? Where do I go if I need a pee - or do I just use the large lavatory overboard!? :D

Just kidding - I wouldn't call myself a picky boat diver but in general I like to dive from larger boats with a bit of comfort - either working or on holiday. Of course I'm at sea for 8 or more hours a day so it's not the same as a small team diving in a lake when you can pootle back to shore for lunch. I've dived from plenty of RIBs but not an ickle motorboat as pictured above. Would I? Probably yes if it was just me and a friend going to see something particular for a single dive, but as TSandM says, not a lot of room and getting back on board would not be the best experience in the world, but no worse than the average RIB. I wouldn't personally want to make it a regular experience though.

View attachment 121543

This is one of the boats I have the pleasure of working on... different strokes and all that! :)

Cheers

C.

That looks an awful lot like the "standard design" of dive boats in the egyptian red sea :p

As to the OP. Yes, I would dive from that boat, but I wouldnt do so withouth having people in the boat to assist me when I come back up. I would doff the gear in the water and have someone pull it into the boat (or clip it off to the boat) before being helped getting into the boat myself.

I would dive from it...if it got me to and from the site effectively. In fact, I dive from one not too much bigger several times a year (my brother's ski-boat).

That said, I've dived from a 14 foot aluminum "johnboat", ski boats, and even a kayak. Each had its own quirks and required a little thinking, but just about anything that floats can be dived from. Now ENJOYING the experience is a matter of preference.

That said, I've dived from a 14 foot aluminum "johnboat"

I've often wondered about this "johnboat" thing. I own a small aluminum fishing boat & wondered what kind of looks I'd get by diving from it. LOL
The boat pictured is just one I saw today for sale & wondered what opinions would be like.

i don't see a way to get back on it easily or do i just water ski back to shore in full diving gear? :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom