Boat ladders and upper body v leg strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In NJ, they make you climb with fins on because conditions can be rough and people have been known to fall from the ladder. It's easier to negotiate your way back to the boat with your fins on afterwards. Ask me how I know.

The worst injury I know of in our club was a fall trapping a leg on a spine ladder. It is an alright-ish ladder in that it goes fairly high but it leaves you with an awkward manoeuvre at the end.

There is another thread something like “boat diving, are we doing it wrong?” Which talks about how much help is appropriate for a diver. A good bit of old fashioned “if you can’t carry it down a 20ft quay ladder you can’t dive it”.

I think that there is a major culture gap that means that it is ok to dismiss less able people as inferior and not address their issues. Quite a lot of U.K. divers would have to give up if lifts were not available.

The suggestion of pushing lifts is dismissed because apparently the Coast Guard would not approve them. The idea of all getting together in an organised way, as consumers, and lobbying seems to be another culture issue.

Kick up a fuss, find some disability law to exploit, shame the providers and regulators. Don’t put up with ****** service and facilities.

In NJ, they make you climb with fins on because conditions can be rough and people have been known to fall from the ladder. It's easier to negotiate your way back to the boat with your fins on afterwards. Ask me how I know.

Somebody told you?

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 12.01.17 AM.png

Like this?

These ladders used to be commonplace in the U.K. but once people started diving twins or rebreather boat operators with lifts appeared on the scene. Within a few years nearly every charter had a lift or they wouldn’t get bookings.
I've never been diving in the U.K. What do you mean by "lifts"? Like a motorized device to get divers up and on the boat?

Back
Top Bottom