Boat Shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Eaver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering a new boat purchase in March. I am looking for a boat for me - not charter. Diving seems to be taking up more and more of my time on the water, so I am considering a boat that is more geared toward divers. How about some suggestions? I am considering inside the 20' to 30' range, use will primarily be Tampa Bay Area with some excursions to Daytona and many, many trips to the Keys. Easy in and out, comfort, HPG, towability, storage, shade, cooler and tank space - what would type of boat would you suggest? I am reviewing Hydra Sports and Everglades at the moment.

Both quality platforms... Are you looking new or used?
You should take a walk to a few local marinas and find some owners of boats you are looking at. People love to talk about their boats, ask them a few questions.
just be aware that all answers are prejudiced. People ALWAYS want to convince you that their boat is the perfect boat. Anything else would be like them saying "I'm an idiot and bought a piece of garbage". Not likely unless they are angry at the moment.
Also, base your decision on the boat propulsion and mechanics available. There is nothing worse that having engine trouble and loosing half a season because of the lack of parts or skilled labor. On the flip side what a pleasure when you have a great mechanic. In my situation I call my mechanic and within 2 days they send someone to my house who repairs the boat in my dock. I never missed a precious weekend (but remote repairs costs a premium).

I dive a hydrasports 212 walkaround in the keys. A little on the small end but really has a lot of room to gear up. Much more so than any center console of comparable size. If I could have, I'd have gone in the 25-27' range but my condo limits the size of boats in the rack. Overall I'm pretty happy with it though.

I am headed to a boat show in Tampa in September. I have friends that are sales reps for various manufacturers - I think it will be a long day as they all know Im in the market.

check tecinnovations.net

Do you know of anybody that actually has one of these? I have been looking into boats and am really looking to expand my dive site options rather than the liesurely boat ride with family and friends. For this reason, this boat looks like a functional fit.

I think I'd consider putting Grady and Pursuit on the short list as well. Everglades are great boats but they're pricey. Grady and Pursuit are the other two I'd consider for apples to apples. I think the Hydra Sports is a bit below the other three quality wise.

Being in Florida there are some other great boats that you have down there that we don't have dealers for up here, smaller manufacturers that build quality boats. As for engines, if you're buying new, don't listen too much to everyone. I'm a Mercury guy so I think they're the best but when it comes down to it, engine service is far more important than brand now as almost all the new engines are pretty good now.

I own a 23 foot key west with a 250 4 stroke. This is my second KW and have no complaints. I looked at the hydra sport(very nice) but for another 20000 dollars it didnt seem worth it.

Do you know of anybody that actually has one of these? I have been looking into boats and am really looking to expand my dive site options rather than the liesurely boat ride with family and friends. For this reason, this boat looks like a functional fit.

There is already a lengthy thread on that boat. IMO, based on ownership of numerous small boats including and still including inflatables, the hole in the floor is a useless gimmick. There are better boats on the market for equal or less money. I personally like the Zodiac Futura series except for the PVC fabric, Hypalon is the better material for any inflatable in the long run. I don't want a big hole in the floor, knowing what I know, I find that highly suspect as being impractical. N

Don't forget to look at Parker or parker-like boats.
Having a hull that can take just about any seas, along with a small cabin to keep you out of the weather, will allow you to go out on days that otherwise you'd stayed in with a center console.

Back
Top Bottom