Boats at Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lobos regulations say they allow hand launchable boats under 17'. What is a hand launchable boat? Can you launch a 16' zodiac from a trailer?

Lobos regulations say they allow hand launchable boats under 17'. What is a hand launchable boat? Can you launch a 16' zodiac from a trailer?
You can launch any boat up to a 17' length that can be recovered by hand as in using a winch. Yes you can launch there with your Zodiac.

I would recommend checking the tide charts closely as the ramp drops off before the trailer will be deep enough to recover. Launching isn't tough as you just use your hands to launch the boat. If you don't have a trailer tongue extension you might get your tow vehicle wet with salt water, as there can be heavy surge at the ramp.

Please be respectful of the other divers at the ramp, as they need to get in and out of the water, and in return hopefully they respect the few minutes when we need to use the ramp. Helps to anchor your boat more on the inside of the cove, so it doesn't swing into a heavy traffic area.

Just an FYI it is 5 mph in the cove and have everyone on the boats eyes open for divers surfacing. Your trailer goes across from Whalers Cove up hill on the access road that says something like "Only Authorized Vehicles". Ignore it and drive up the hill then drop your trailer in the dirt area right before the buildings. They also want a weeks notice before arriving if bringing a boat to Lobos. The number of boats is limited.

I launch my 17' Boston Whaler there, when the tides are very right. Check the tide tables ("Carmel Cove" is Whaler's Cove). I like +2.5' to launch and retrieve.

Be careful of very high tides. I've ended up with my boat sideways on the trailer on a really high tide.

Also, see: http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/launchingatptlobos.html

Do they still require a special form in advance for boats? Their info page references a downloadable boat form from a link on the diver registration page but I dont see any link for a form?

Do they still require a special form in advance for boats? Their info page references a downloadable boat form from a link on the diver registration page but I dont see any link for a form?
I always bring the form, but have never been asked for it, nor presented it. I do let them know in advance I am bringing a boat.

The document is attached.

Attachments

• Vessel Form 2010 Blank.doc
    38.5 KB · Views: 60
We always launched our Zodiac using the detachable stern wheels.

We always launched our Zodiac using the detachable stern wheels.

What size Zodiac with what horse outboard? How larger where the tires?

I only ask because I just finished building a pair of axles and mounts with 19" Wheeleez tires for beach launching. The tires are only rated for 265lbs each. My 14' Zodiac weights close to 500lbs with the hull, outboard, fuel, anchor, battery, etc. Not much is removable due to weight or pain in the rear factor. Yet to be seen if I need bow tires too (Like the Point Lobos rescue boat uses). I have plenty of photos of the setup that was purchased for them.

They're stock wheels and tires from Zodiac, mounted on metal struts that attach to the stern plate ... we used a 17 footer with a 45 horse.

inflatable_launching_wheels.jpg

Here's a website on wheels: link.

They're stock wheels and tires from Zodiac, mounted on metal struts that attach to the stern plate ... we used a 17 footer with a 45 horse.

Here's a website on wheels: link.

I did an exhaustive search (Read too many hours) on beach launching inflatables and it seems no one builds a true beach tire launching system, but instead most are made for paved launch ramps. Funny thing is one of my customers and I were chatting about dive boats and he walks me out to see his. The legs look almost identical to mine and the tires are like what are on the front of my lawn mower tractor. Nothing you could ever buy in the store for inflatable boats. As I am sure you know our sand is not hard packed and everything sinks into it, so it requires a floaty tire.

Did you pull the motor or haul the boat around with the motor on it? My Evinrude weighs 200lbs so it never comes off the boat. Plus there are electrical connections for the starter and charging system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom