Bob, my dad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggs_the

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dad was the father of three little girls that had to be taken care of so when the desire to learn to scuba hit him, he put it off.

When I got certified 5 years ago and went on my first dive vacation, my dad told me how he'd always wanted to try it. But by that time he had lost 1/2 a lung and a kidney to cancer as well as a double by-pass and becoming diabetic, so he did not feel his doctors would release him and he never tried.

But my dad was who first taught me how to aim a camera and look for shots so I took underwater pictures and videos for him and he said it meant so much more than just watching it on Discovery.

My dad passed in November 2008 when the cancer finally won, and in April I went on my first dive trip since he died. I got upset knowing he wouldn't be there to see my pictures and videos when I got home, but then it occurred to me that he didn't need to see my pictures and videos because he could now dive with me.

So, to my dad... who even though he never followed his dreams somehow managed to have a kid who would, and even shared them vicariously for a few years.

I miss you Pop.

Maggs,

Sad story, but glad that you were able to do some of the things your Dad wanted to do.

All I have to say is that life is short , so do all that you can while you are here.

My daughter dives with me, and it sure is fun to be able to share the love for diving with her.

Jim Breslin

Beautifully written.

Very nice post.

It reminded me of the song "Last game of the season".

It's always nice to have an extra buddy when diving.

Pete

Added: PS Thanks for prompting to reflect some special memories.

Last edited:
Hello
Thank you for this post! I am very sorry for the loss of your dad.
Tom

Very sorry for your loss. Dive and dive often as he will always be your dive buddy.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. Your post really touched my heart.

Thank you so much for the responses. I guess I didn't really expect others to read it and was posting it for me and dad.

He would be tickled more than you'd think that I talked about him on a scuba board. And even more so that people were touched enough to respond.

I have heard it said that they are never truly gone as long as someone remembers them and shares them with others.

Thank you again. I didn't realize how important it was to me till I read your replies.

Oh, and I'll be "taking dad" with me on the Blackbeard's Cruise in the Bahamas.. he would have LOVED that!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom