Boca Inlet fish ID question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was over at Boca Inlet this morning to go snorkeling, water was very calm. I am hoping someone and clue me in on what kind of fish I saw. We were over by the jettie and there were many fish just lying in the sand reminded me of a trunk looking fish but they had markings of a leopard as were were swimming about, I kept seeing these kind of round things under the water that were kind of illunesent. Would like to know what they were.

Did they look like this?

ar12682627080011.jpg

seawalnut.jpg

The fish picture, the body was shaped the same, it was laying in the sand at the bottom, but it had markings like a leopard. There were many of them at the bottom. As for the tiny thing that was floating though the water, did not look anything like the second picture. They looked like glowing small dots/balls. Very small. This was around 8 am.

..........As for the tiny thing that was floating though the water, did not look anything like the second picture. They looked like glowing small dots/balls. Very small..........

I have seen tiny tiny squid (much smaller than a pencil eraser) that look almost like dots and will glow and change colors: sometimes in small "schools", sometimes single. I've only seen them at dusk or night or on a rainy/heavily overcast day.

If the winds hold out again tonight, I may go back over tomorrow morning. I will try and remember to take my camera and see if I can get a photo of the fish.

PICT0001.jpgHere is a photo of the fish I would like to ID. His eyes are a orange/yellow color.

Thanks!!

I think it is a type of pufferfish

PICT0043.jpgPICT0045.jpg

Here is a couple more photos, sorry about the quality, my daughter was taking them. Her video was almost making me seasick while watching it:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom