Body found in Lake Tahoe possibly diver missing 17 years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 265' monitoring your life support, trying to be aware of your surroundings, and trying to keep your head together in general, can you imagine the WTF!!!??? moment the discovering diver must have gone through. (probably thought he was hallucinating or his gear or mix was bad). In Lake Tahoe that is surely a "needle in the haystack" situation.

In response to Togalive #3. 265' isn't common for most of us, I'm sure there some very responsible high tech divers that safely entertain that depth on occasion. Even as a sport diver from Reno.The altitude is always factored in and after the dive we spend a long time at the lake "offgassing" before we drive back home.

Do we know what shop the discovering crew was out of?

Wow thanks TC.. that is far deeper and bigger then I would ever have expected.

But still that only explains a few years of why they would have to call off searches of the shallow areas. We have had the technology now for a while that could have found him. Why wasn't the search re-opened years later when it was possible to use the equipment? I mean it almost seems that he was forgotten about, which is very very sad to me. It's one thing to say we know a body is there but can't recover without risking more lives, then to just not look everywhere

Unfortunately that's not how things work. My cousin went missing in a local river here in NJ after a boating accident 2 years ago. After 2 weeks the local PD stopped searching for him. It took 12 weeks for us to find his body and that was all due to volunteers from around the country with special equipment. If all those generous people didn't help us locate him, his body would still be at the bottom of the crick.

I don't know what is "right"...?

I gave my daughter written requests long ago for if I die or am lost diving. I hope she can find them and will read them if an emergency comes up. What she'll do will still be her call but it might be easier if she knows my wishes: "If I am missing, yes - please do look for me, but if it is reasonably presumed that I am dead, don't risk lives nor waste money looking for me." If I had been seem losing it on ascent, then sinking below 130 - I don't see any reason in searching below the surface? I know that many did a lot and spent a lot looking for the boy's body in that Arizona reservoir some months ago but I would not want her to waste money or others to risk diving so deep for my body.

The relatives of the fishermen lost in Baja waters pressed the Mexican navy to look longer than 96 hours. I often wear a snorkel vest on a boat, always on small ones, but not on a liveaboard - and I wouldn't want anyone bothering after that. I certainly would not want anyone to look for 2 weeks. I guess different folks are going to feel differently. :idk:

TC:
Most of Tahoe is deep- max depth 1645', average depth 1000'.
godfather2fredo.jpg
yep

Hey guys, I am replying to this thread after taking some time to find any articles or news following the diver found in Lake Tahoe for my father. My dad was the dive partner on this accident 17 years ago. There were a lot of things that went wrong, but most of all, we do not know all of the things that did go wrong on that dive. They searched extensively for the lost diver, but the area they were diving was quite deep, as stated by the divers that found him. 265 ft. is a long way down. I know that there are many questions about this dive, and living through the pain watching my father and the family of the lost diver is proving to create more questions. If I could tell the whole story I would. But even for me, as a fellow diver, it is hard to get through. My father and I have not dived together since I received my certification. It still haunts my family and the family of the lost diver everyday. Your thoughts and prayers will be gratly appreciated as this is bringing back many hard emotioins and feelings. Thank you so much.

Nick

Hi Nick. Stick around. SB is a nice place.

After reading the comments on the Sac Bee article "obviously murder," "horrible buddy" and so on, I am so very glad we have the community we do on SB. Don is spot on in his assessment. We have a good crowd and an educated supportive group. I find it disturbing that people who probably have never been in the water or in a dive emergency to say these types of things and their comments speak more to who they are a people than to the nature of the incident.

-C

Last edited:
It's a testament to the difficulty of recovery that the sheriff knew the body was at 265, on the Rubicon, and it still took three to four hours to find him.

We hope you join us often, Nick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom