Bohio Dive Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Steve that was the boat captain in Saba from England. At Bohio he is pretty much a one man show. Ellie is there as assistant resort manager and teaches courses at the resort. Sure made our trip to Bohio much more enjoyable being with them.

Thanks - We did Saba the summer of 2010 for about 10 days and dove with SeaSaba.

Ellie was probably my favorite SeaSaba employee. Good customer service focus with an
ability to help folks and answer questions without appearing to talk down to guests who ask a thousand questions (me).

I'm headed out to Grand Turk - Bohio dive resort for a few nights as part of a longer T&C trip in August. Just curious....question for those who have stayed at Bohio recently...
-any snorkelling out in front of resort or surrounding area?
-do you see the cruise ships going by at all up there? (we're hoping not to see them)

Thanks!

You can snorkel in front of Bohio but it's mostly sand the reef is about 300 yards out but I saw several people doing the sand part. The cruise ship passengers will come to Bohio on the days they are there that week. The place was never over run by them and we never really noticed them that much. The resort tries to keep the guests from being bothered by them. The beach is big enough you can get away from them if you want or you can enjoy some new company.

Just to add to what TarheelDiver said. We were just there at Bohio last week. It's basically sand between the shore and the reef/wall but don't let that deter any snorkeling opportunities. We only snorkeled the last day after our final dive was over but afterwards wished we had done more snorkeling during our stay. To the right of where they moor the larger boat (the one they take to Gibbs Cay) and a little further out towards the wall, we found a 3 or 4 ft deep depression in the sea floor as big as a large swimming pool. The walls of this depression had some ledges where we saw an octopus, 2 lionfish and several sea urchins along with some tropical fish. Pretty cool to say the least. There is definitely stuff to see and you don't have to go far out to enjoy the snorkeling. The diving there is wonderful and the staff at Bohio is very accommodating. We didn't see the cruise ships go by Bohio during our stay but you will see some cruise ship passengers come on to the Bohio beach on the days the ships are in. Just like THD said, they weren't bothersome or too many in number to affect the experience at Bohio. Enjoy your trip!

I visited Bohio this year and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip. I was there to dive and the set up was perfect for that:) The resort has newish management (Tom and Ginny who are Canadians but who have been working in the region for some time) and a very safety conscious and good British guy in charge of the diving plus a British Assistant Manager who was also lovely and is also a DI (she was simply too busy that week to come out and dive with us). Our rooms were spacious and although they are not OTT (given the price they are absolutely fine) the whole place was clean, comfortable, felt secure, with beautiful views of the sea and palms on the beach from our balcony. Another nice touch was free (and excellent) yoga sessions held before sunset several times a week. My partner and I both like to run some mornings and the staff were very helpful in showing us little routes we could take around the island.
There are other places to dine on the island but as the chef (a really fantastic South African lady) seemed to be cooking some of the best food around - the restaurant was often also full of non-residents and locals who added to the ambience and clearly highly recommend the place (as it gets busy it is worth ordering promptly and early at busy times). The restaurant is located just above the white sandy beach and the dive boat leaves from only a few meters away each morning after breakfast and returns in time to rinse off and eat lunch! The menu was varied and full of healthy salads, grilled fish and fruit dishes (my preferences) and it was easy to have a cranky diet like me (as the chef was very keen on ensuring all special food needs were catered for - providing me with rice milk etc etc and catering for a raw-food diet guest for instance at the same time). Menus include buffet bbq's and themed world-food menus and the food-package seemed like good value for money to me for the area.
The diving really exceeded our expectations. We dived every morning off the Grand Turk Wall which astounded us with its beautiful array of sponges in particular. The fish life was abundant and healthy and we noted dolphins, sharks and turtles on several occasions. Purple coral and sponges set a really pretty scene and the dives were all excellent quality and awesome visibility for a whole week. Having never been to the Caribbean before I was more than pleasantly surprised and rewarded!
The island is sleepy and Colonial in style and ambience and we found all the locals to be really friendly whenever we ventured off for a walk or a drink or fish sarnie somewhere out of the hotel.
I spent most of my afternoons baking in the sun and reading my way through some of the good books on hand followed by some yoga and some vino at sunset.
I found the whole experience easy, relaxed, professional and as my main objective was to dive - having the in-house dive centre worked perfectly for me.
My trip was part of a multi destination Turks and Caicos itinerary organised for me by Indigo Safaris (check them out online if you are considering any trip to the Turks and Caicos) as they arranged an excellent combination which was perfect for us.

I work at Oasis Divers on Grand Turk and love it here. The water is in the low 80s/upper 70s right now. I've been in a full 3mil and have been just fine the last few weeks.

A three mil in the summer is ok, but wow does it seem to get cold during the winter months.

Hello everyone. Joined Scuba-board today to join in on this discussion (also, it's nice to see a dive forum that appears to focus on diving :)

I'm booked to stay at Bohio for ten days beginning April 1st. The link below is from Trip Advisor and was very helpful in deciding to stay there. Early impressions in dealing with Bohio have been very favorable. They've been responsive and prefer email communication to keep everything clear. It seems the all inclusive package which includes breakfast and lunch is the way to go. It also includes airfare from Provo to Grand Turk and Bohio makes that reservation for you. I was a little bit nervous about the fact that the airline that handles that flight- T&C Air- won't necessarily put your baggage on the same flight you're on. Based on weight, they may bring bags on a later flight then taxi bags to your hotel. From what I read, this didn't seem like a big problem as far as bags getting to their owners in time to dive the next day.

I also like the idea of a five minute boat ride to many sites and surface intervals spent on the beach. That sounds like a blast to me. The only downside was the lack of shore diving. They say it's available but it looks like a 300 yard swim to closest dive site. With that said, I'm told the divemaster will take us out in afternoon and/or night so I think we'll get our dives in.

Grand Turk built a major cruise ship port recently and as far as I can tell, Bohio is far enough north of there to barely be affected. This is something I would pay attention to. Oasis Divers is right by the cruise port and does cater to cruise divers. I think Blue Water Divers may as well. My only concern with diving with these shops is the likelihood that you would get too many divers of differing skill levels and I imagine they bend over backwards to accomodate the cruise ship passengers possibly at the expense of guests of the local hotels. I liked the idea of diving on a small boat with four to eight divers without the stress of having to hurry to get people back to their ship before departure.

I'll continue to post updates.
When did you post this, if it was 2015-2016 then your are several years off of the "new cruise port". that was built in early 2006. As for divers staying on island most dive companies here don't allow divers from the cruise ship to dive with those on island. mainly because if your staying here you are not on a time schedule...and lets face it are better divers most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom