Boiling Webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been boiling new webbing prior installing on my backplates. I heard that it takes out the stiffness.

Is this true?
If so, how long should I boil it?

I've been boiling my new webbing for about 30 minutes (can't stand the smell much longer).
I've noticed a slight improvement in the stiffness, but not what I've been hoping for.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

There's a degree of variability in webbing stiffness in my very limited experience. The stuff on my plate (recline) is nicely stiff, and the crotch strap fairly supple. The webbing on my GF'/"s backplate is significantly stiffer. I prefer mine - slightly easier to slip in and out of, and good comfort.

the webbing is still because it is resin impregnated. Boiling can potentially permanently soften the webbing, but will definitely temporarily soften it that will make it easier to thread. I don't really worry about it though, I prefer the stiff webbing to make it easier to get into and out of

I've been boiling new webbing prior installing on my backplates. I heard that it takes out the stiffness.

Is this true?
If so, how long should I boil it?

I've been boiling my new webbing for about 30 minutes (can't stand the smell much longer).
I've noticed a slight improvement in the stiffness, but not what I've been hoping for.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Can't help with how long, but you can definitely buy webbing material of varying softness. Maybe ask your LDS for some soft webbing? It's been a few years now but i am pretty sure it isn't expensive if you buy webbing by the foot instead of a harness with hardware included.

... it isn't expensive if you buy webbing by the foot instead of a harness with hardware included.

Yes, that's exactly what I've been doing. Over the last two years I've assembled from scratch the webbing and hardware for four backplates so far (three for me, one for a friend). I like to customize my setups by including features like quick release clips (got roasted for putting that in a post once), and lightweight hardware for travel plates. I don't even consider buying the over-priced ready-made harnesses.

Maybe I'll skip the boiling this time and see if the stiffness really is a problem or not.
But now that Rhwestfall is coming to dinner tonight I may have to do it afterall.

I usually use webbing identical to automobile seatbelt material for my crotch straps. It's very soft.
Too soft and floppy for the straps and belt.

Last edited:
Boiling dive gear?!

That's a new one for me!

Raw Materials - Para Gear

All the webbing and hardware you can dream of.... You can buy it by the Roll or the Foot...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom