Bolt through webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've put grommets in the harnesses I've made.... but as others have said, they are not really necessary. Be sure to burn the hole either way (I use a soldering iron).

But the grommets make them look spiffy... :D

Best wishes.

Somebody please enlighten me. Other than the fact that webbing would cover the hole, is there any reason why the top bolt needs to go through the harness? I suppose it could potentially prevent the harness from slipping, but I have never had that problem on the lower slots. If it could be avoided, would it not be better to avoid a hole in the harness? I'm setting up a new single-piece harness on my BP right now and am considering modifying the BP by drilling a new hole just below the webbing and lengthening the bottom slot to accommodate the same standard bolt spacing (for doubles/STA) and thereby avoid the need to burn a hole through the webbing. The whole shift is about 1 1/2 inches and then if I reposition the bands on my doubles down 1 1/2 inches, the tanks are back up where they were before. The wing would also move lower, but I use the center set of holes on the wing and can go to the lower set if needed to adjust the center of buoyancy back up. We go to extraordinary lengths to eliminate potential failure points on the harness and in my mind any hole we put in the webbing is adding a potential failure point. I'm not sold on the idea yet have a sneaking suspicion that I am missing something. I can't be the first person to think of this and will wait to hear what others think before I drill anything.

Somebody please enlighten me. Other than the fact that webbing would cover the hole, is there any reason why the top bolt needs to go through the harness?

There is no reason. Look at a Deep Sea Supply backplate, those are specifically designed so that the webbing passes under the bolt, negating any need to put a hole in the webbing.

Somebody please enlighten me. Other than the fact that webbing would cover the hole, is there any reason why the top bolt needs to go through the harness?

No, there's no need for the bolt to go through the webbing. They don't on DSS plates.......

Having said that you need to rethink your concerns about holes in the webbing being a failure point.

You could *CUT WEBBING IN TWO* at the bolt hole, i.e. on the tank side of the plate, and KING KONG could not pull one of the shoulder straps off the plate. Each shoulder strap makes *4* ninety degree turns as it weaves through two slots and over the top of the back plate.

No need for a grommet, burn a hole and be done with it.

Tobin

You can go to, of all places, WalMart and get a grommet kit (sporting goods area) that is pretty cheap. It comes with everything you need except a hammer, and they come in numerous sizes. They are really easy to install. Home Depot probably has them as well.

You can get webbing at an outdoor camping/sporting goods store, such as REI.

I used these on my front pocket of my BP/W to facilitate water draining.

He-he, he-he, he said "grommet."
beavis-and-butthead.jpg

No, there's no need for the bolt to go through the webbing. They don't on DSS plates.......

Having said that you need to rethink your concerns about holes in the webbing being a failure point.

You could *CUT WEBBING IN TWO* at the bolt hole, i.e. on the tank side of the plate, and KING KONG could not pull one of the shoulder straps off the plate. Each shoulder strap makes *4* ninety degree turns as it weaves through two slots and over the top of the back plate.

No need for a grommet, burn a hole and be done with it.

Tobin

Went ahead and did it with a soldering iron. It looks great and doesn't slip. No grommet. Cant wait to get it in the water.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom