boltsnap clipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool to see people do it different ways. I agree realistically it’s not a big deal and is minimal risk. I did learn to do it in and down using a grip that allows a finger to lift the d ring while the rest of the hand/fingers clip it on. I’ll play around with up and out next time to see what all the fuss is about

For chest drings clipping up and out using your thumb to operate the gate is much, much easier than in and down. Being able to reliably clip off one handed is a necessary skill.
The only thing I clip "in" are back up lights. This helps inadvertent removal.
Tobin

Thank you for the explanation

Unbelievable. Ten minutes about how to clip a boltsnap. :shakehead:
And the production quality is just awful, too. Genuine thanks to @Kevrumbo for posting the link--I got a few nuggets of info, such as the recommended location for the boltsnap--but that travesty is a tutorial in how not to make an instructional video.

And the production quality is just awful, too. Genuine thanks to @Kevrumbo but that travesty is a tutorial in how not to make an instructional video.

Is there a thread for that?

I learned it in and down, gate towards the body, it was further emphasized in sidemount and again in intro to tech, and advanced nitrox. The only different clip off was clipping off the primary reg. avoids confusion as it is the only one facing forward.

I have personally witnessed (only x2) outward facing bolt snaps catching cave line as a diver went by it. One was a waist bolt snap, the other a chest bolt snap. one was a Tech instructor from another shop teaching students how to tie off a reel to penetrate a wreck. Got caught on her own line as she advanced.

Since buying the bp&w a two years ago I have to say I never realised there was a right way or wrong way to clip a boltsnap. Just so happens that i clip in and down as it feels more natural.

You live and learn.

For really important items that are not attached to anything like my cordless primary light, wet notes, etc. I use a trigger snap. It doesn’t matter which way you put it on.

I have had both bolt snaps and double enders come off Inadvertently both in and out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom