boltsnap clipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't remember their name, but there is an alternative to boltsnaps and carabiners. Basically, a two or three inch long barrel with an outer sleeve. A ring at one end, to attach a line. And at the other end, a set of "jaws". Pull the barrel down, away from the jaws, and it exposes and opens them. Release, and it slides up and covers them, securing them around a d-ring or whatever. Nothing to foul, no inadvertent release. Been ages since I've seen one and I have no idea what they were/are called. Except, much more expensive than proper bronze boltsnaps.

FWIW.

One thing worth emphasizing is the importance of making clipping and unclipping part of your muscle memory. Can you clip / unclip without looking or farting around to find the D-ring?

I don't remember their name, but there is an alternative to boltsnaps and carabiners. Basically, a two or three inch long barrel with an outer sleeve. A ring at one end, to attach a line. And at the other end, a set of "jaws". Pull the barrel down, away from the jaws, and it exposes and opens them. Release, and it slides up and covers them, securing them around a d-ring or whatever. Nothing to foul, no inadvertent release. Been ages since I've seen one and I have no idea what they were/are called. Except, much more expensive than proper bronze boltsnaps.

FWIW.
Is this what you are thinking of?
Brass Barrel Bolt
Or this one?
Quick Release - 10² Racing

PS - Googling Panic Snap or Quick-Release Snap gives lots of choices, but you want to make sure of their material...many seem to be nickel or brass-plated steel, rather than all brass or stainless steel. I guess horses don't rust....

Last edited:
Yes, I just found them online as "panic snap" including brass (which does ok in saltwater as long as you rinse your gear) and chrome plate, and I think stainless as well. Also used to release attack dogs. Time to pick up a few and upgrade some things.

Yes, I just found them online as "panic snap" including brass (which does ok in saltwater as long as you rinse your gear) and chrome plate, and I think stainless as well. Also used to release attack dogs. Time to pick up a few and upgrade some things.

Those barrel bolts are not pull to open. They're 180 twist to unlock then open. Close & 180 twist to lock.
The twist is not spring loaded, but ball bearing resisted.

They are absolutely 2 handed use. There's a screw on the shaft that corrodes & breaks out, which causes the shaft to shift and pop it's ball bearing. Once that happens you'll most likely pull the shaft off the shackle when you open it & all the internals get lost.

Last edited:
There must be several different kinds then. I've seen some that say just "pull" to open, and that's what are used on attack dogs, so the dog can be loosed with just one motion of one hand. (The other hand carrying a gun or light.) And one equestrian model that said "just turn barrel 180 degrees to open" with no pulling mentioned.

My advice. Stop looking at scubaboard threads on boltsnap clipping and get in the water and practice. Then you can find out which way you prefer. Personally I've never seen an entanglement with any kind of piston boltsnap.

I find it's much more intuitive to clip upwards leaving the gate exposed. As other have mentioned it's mostly to do with ease of clipping things off with one hand. My back up lights are clipped the other way to aid finding the right clip in the dark.

That's pretty much it. I wouldn't give it too much more thought.

Back
Top Bottom