Bonaire 1 month away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st timer heading to Bonaire on Friday. Staying at Capt. Don's Habitat in a oceanview room. From what I read here, we will be disappointed. Any tips to make the stay more enjoyable?
A good attitude. Lots of dive time.

Remember, you don't have to eat at Capt. Don's. Buddy Dive is just down the road, if you don't have a car.

If you have a way to pad the bed, like a small inflatable, you'd probably sleep better.

So, I put in the search word "bonaire" and I suppose the Thread "1 month away" caught by eye becuase we go 1 month from yesterday. First time for all of us, so I have a lot of questions, hoping to get some thoughts.

We have a baby...and a rotating babysitting plan. (That was the deal when the parent's were making 'how-many-grand-children-they-want requests. :)
Can we get baby food at the local grocery story there (10 month old)?
are baby seats required by law? (we have inquires right now to baby car seat rental and will probably rent through Poppy, as they seems to get many good remarks on Bonaire Talk.

All the marketing sounds like you can get to 2/3 of the dive sites from shore. Looks like boat diving is pretty cheap, probably because of the former. Are there any "not to miss" dives that we should plan to do, meaning, should we get an unlimited diving packe, than also includes a few boat dives? (if so, which dives are they?

One of our group is staying at Sand Dollar, and the other 5 of us plus baby are in a vacation home vrbo rental, that has shore diving access to "something Special" (hope it IS... since it seems like this place could be a night or early morning dive spot for us very easily from our patio. Becuase of the other guest at Sand Dollar, and Dive Friends, we will probably book our dive package through them. Mostly, we just need air/nitrox, half the group has all gear, other half has a few pieces to rent.)

sidewalks/walking areas terrian? (for 'which stroller to bring' reasons)

do you have some comments for me regarding any of this?

Greg:

I'd probably ask on BonaireTalk's forum about baby food brands. The 3 big grocery stores are Van Den Tweels, Warehouse Bonaire and Top (formerly Cultimara). You might also ask about diaper brands unless you take plenty. When I needed triple antibiotic ointment for a bad leg abrasion a few years back I needed to hit the pharmacy and be mindful stores aren't open 24/7, so with a baby along, I'd pack plenty of whichever children's med.s you think you might need.

There's side-walk in the capitol and you can use a stroller there. Since people often eat out in the evenings, the stroller might come in handy. I have no idea how many restaurants have high chairs to sit a baby in. Oh, and restaurants often have outdoor seating and in the evening mosquitos can maul you. Plan on bringing plenty of repellent. Trying to sleep with a baby with a bunch of mosquito bites sounds miserable, even if we ignore the small risk of Denque fever.

In 7 trips to Bonaire I haven't felt the need to set foot on a boat yet. If you want to say you dove off Klein Bonaire, you will need to.

People can debate 'not to miss' dive sites. For shore, I'd recommend:

1.) Karpata & Tolo. Both require you to head far enough that the road becomes one way & commits you to a long drive back. Karpata has lush reef and is well-known and often spoken off. Tolo is just all around a good site, and worth stopping at on your way to Karpata.

2.) 1,000 Steps (actually 60 something). Scenic staircase, nice entry (after & before the stair case), nice dive. Good one for some land pictures.

3.) Oil Slick Leap - the big giant stride entry is a conversation piece, and I've had good dives here.

4.) The Cliff - a fairly shallow, small vertical wall that's unlike a lot of the rest of the diving.

5.) Bari Reef - a nice dive, and said to have documented high species diversity. If you don't stay where it's the house reef, then it's a turn off of a round-about.

6.) Invisibles - long swim out, nice reef, I mainly throw it in because it's one of the sites most everybody seems to hit. In case you like to have 'been there, done that' when a site comes up.

7.) Hilma Hooker - it's the big wreck of Bonaire at recreational limits. This is down south where there's a double reef system.

8.) Angel City seems well-spoken off.

9.) Salt Pier (when no ship is in). Shallow, long pier with lots of columns, life hangs around them.

10.) Windsock (the dive site, not the resort - though the resort has a good shore dive) - good entry. Nice for night dives, because that big pier makes it obvious where to exit, and exit is easy. Though one night ravenous mosquitos attacked.

11.) Sweet Dreams - lush reef rivaling Karpata in my experience.

People also speak well of Margate Bay and Red Beryl. People often speak well of Tori's Reef; I only dove it once and must've missed what was special about it. Up north I like Andrea I and II. I think Alice in Wonderland is like the Hilma Hooker without the wreck.

If you stay at Buddy Dive or Captain Don's Habitat, the house reef is nice. If you stay at Eden Beach Resort, the house reef is Eden's Rubble but head out to the wreck of the Bakanal, and from the north end of the property is a decent dive site I think is called Front Porch.

I'm sure others can chime in with favorites, but if you hit the dozen I suggested, and maybe also 2 or 3 of the others I suggested, that's quite a few dives. And remember that at some sites you could easily make it a 2 tank dive; for example, dive Oil Slick Leap and lead south on dive 1, get another tank, & head north for dive 2.

Richard.

HI Greg, First of all I understand fully what you mean by the Grand parent rotating babysitting plan....very cute. Regarding your questions:

I do recall seeing baby foods at the Van den Tweel Supermarket. However, brand names I do not recall. Although, for your trip I would recommend packing the baby's food as this would insure that your little one will eat what he/she is used to having. I know that these extras add up weight, but, I also know how babies can be VERY particular with their diet at 10 months. Then again, your baby may be like my grandson and it does not matter whatsoever as he will eat everything that is put in front of him...

Car seats seems to be used by some and not by others, of course accidents happen anywhere and the car seat is the best protection. Poppy is great to work with so she may be able to help you with locating a car seat rental.

Shore diving is all that on Bonaire !!! However Having a few boat dives is fun as well. This past trip in addition to shore diving for two weeks, DH and I did two two-tank boat dives. One trip to Klein Bonaire and one to the Washington-Slagbaai National Park. We have boat dived to Klein Bonaire a few times now on different trips but the Park dives this past trip was our first. We did enjoy the trip very much and would consider taking the trip again if the opportunity is there. However, since there is so much opportunity for shores dives we are also very satisfied without any boat dives at all.

Something Special is that indeed. My fave of faves is The Lake. It is a double reef that once you get out there actually looks like a lake. What we do is head out slightly to the right or left of the marker bouy and start our dive on top of the "bowl" at around 4 or 7 o'clock. We then sprial down slowly inside the "bowl" in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction depending on current.....if there is any.....although, can't remember ever when there was "current" at this location. We circle around until almost back to our starting point and slowly ascend to finish up our safety stop as we gradually make our way into shore. It is a very easy breezy dive but there is alot to be found in the reef at this site. Of course, try to get to the Salt Pier, Oil Slick, 1000 steps, Hilma Hooker to at the least check them off your done that list. These four divesites are very fun and offer something different. BTW- the beach across from the airport seems to be a nice spot where families gather. This is the Windsock dive site area that is overall a good easy dive. For a night shore dive, you may want to give Front Porch next to Bari Reef a try. The Tarpon gather here in the evening to feed of divers lights and it is a lot of fun. Be aware however, they do like to nudge you a bit if you are not shining the light in the right direction for them.....
icosm14.gif
You may, if you have not already, want to get a copy of Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy by Susan Porter . For the cost, this book is jampacked with excellent information on the how to's of Bonaire diving.

Sidewalks, YES and NO. I would take the all terrain stroller....yes, it is bigger/bulkier, but I think it would work out better overall.

Best Wishes for a Wonderful Dive Vacation !! Oh, and don't forget the sunscreen and hat for baby !!! Just had to say that, it's a Grandmother thing ....
icosm14.gif

If you need otc meds from the pharmacy just keep in mind you're not in Kansas anymore. Many years ago I forgot the vinegar for ear beer, and went to Cultimara to get some (and some regular beer while I was at it). US vinegar is 5-8% acetic acid. Bonaire vinegar was 90% acetic acid, burn-you strength.

Just be cautious and check, especially with the little one.

On the other hand, Bright comes in little-bitty bottles so you'll need to buy twice as much...

Greg,

I didn't see that anyone mentioned it, but if you haven't been that far south before realize that you get a sunburn in about 15 minutes. Literally.

Can we get baby food at the local grocery story there (10 month old)?
I'm sure you can. They don't seem to be into baby-starving there. :D

All the marketing sounds like you can get to 2/3 of the dive sites from shore.

I think that's inaccurate. You can probably get to 85% of them from shore, for the Bonaire sites. More if you're hardcore (willing to walk quite a ways, deal with lots of rocks, or surface swim for awhile). The Kline Bonaire sites require a boat of some form. I've seen kayakers with tanks and dive gear row over there, and dive. That's really hardcore. Or cheap. :D

Looks like boat diving is pretty cheap, probably because of the former. Are there any "not to miss" dives that we should plan to do, meaning, should we get an unlimited diving packe, than also includes a few boat dives? (if so, which dives are they?)

I'd get a few boat dives, and see what Kline is like. As for the don't miss sites....

Yes.

Return to the island until you've dove them all. Then repeat. :D

One of our group is staying at Sand Dollar, and the other 5 of us plus baby are in a vacation home vrbo rental, that has shore diving access to "something Special"

You will love this site. And there are many just to the south. If you're hardcore, you could even walk to them.

sidewalks/walking areas terrian? (for 'which stroller to bring' reasons)

Everywhere. You can go many places there, and the coastal road runs right along the sea. You're right in town, so you can get anywhere on foot.

1st timer heading to Bonaire on Friday. Staying at Capt. Don's Habitat in a oceanview room. From what I read here, we will be disappointed. Any tips to make the stay more enjoyable?

huh? what makes you think you will be disappointed? :confused:

---------- Post added April 20th, 2014 at 06:34 PM ----------

Greg:

7.) Hilma Hooker - it's the big wreck of Bonaire at recreational limits. This is down south where there's a double reef system.

Richard.

overrated AFAIC, unless there's something really interesting inside, from the outside is just a piece of metal laying on its side, i was bored after the first tour lol
i like a nice wreck and maybe the ones in Bermuda got me spoiled, but this one is nothing to write home about...just my opinion though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom