Bonaire + Curacao, or just Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thecovetrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're a couple planning a low-key, eight-day dive trip to Bonaire in late April/early May. We're considering whether to spend our last couple of days in Curacao to wander around the pastel buildings, visit the Floating Market, and try out the diving there, too.

Would you advise just doing Bonaire as we have only eight days? Or will it be simple enough to check out Curacao while we're in the neighborhood? (Our flight to/from the States is out of Aruba, so Curacao will be "on the way" when we leave Bonaire. We'd just break the flight into two segments.)

I don't know when we'll be back to the ABCs, so there won't necessarily be a "next time" anytime soon (we live in Seattle and are more apt to head to Hawaii, the South Pacific, SE Asia, etc.).

Thanks!

My suggestion is to stick with Bonaire because you basically have the same reef and there is no "NO DIVE DAYS" which you would have by flying to Curacao. In 8 days, you can get a lot of diving in on the island and do and see some incredible things. I love the island and say stick with just the one.

Then, do your trips to the Pacific. You

My suggestion is to stick with Bonaire because you basically have the same reef and there is no "NO DIVE DAYS" which you would have by flying to Curacao. In 8 days, you can get a lot of diving in on the island and do and see some incredible things. I love the island and say stick with just the one.

Agreed - Willemstad and pastel buildings and the floating bridge will kill about an hour of time but force you to give up nearly two full days of diving. Not to mention the idea of adding extra flights and airport jaunts with dive gear in tow for no really compelling reason.

Fuggedaboudit

Capisce.

We'll just stick to Bonaire then... and perhaps end up in Curacao some day with a group of friends, some divers and some not - then everyone will have something to do.

Thanks for the tips!

Bonaire is amazing and you guys will have the opportunity to get in a ton of dives. If for some reason you really want to go to Curacao, why not plan it of the end of the trip? Divi Airlines has a ton of flights to/from Bonaire to Curacao and probably also Aruba. I am sure that you could arrange a long lay over on Curacao to check out the sites.

My wife and I are planning a trip to Curacao and Bonaire around New Years. We are going to Curacao primarily as part of a family trip for two days then we are going to get down to business and head to Bonaire for nine days. From what I have read about Curacao, the diving is similar to Bonaire but the sites are not as accessible. I have been to Bonaire twice and it is an amazing dive destination. Enjoy the trip!

Having been to all - I would agree on the Bonaire only advice

No reason at all to go over to Curacao. Most folks on Bonaire go over there for a day trip for the better shopping. But for the diving, it's really a no brainer. In my mind, 8 days is not enough for Bonaire.

In my mind, 8 days is not enough for Bonaire.

Depends on how you do it. My buddy and I did 32 dives in 6 days of diving, and we were both pretty much ready to go home at that point.

:D

If you only want to do 2-3 a day I guess you could get more than a week out of Bonaire.

I'd stick to Bonaire - I wouldn't break an 8 day trip between the 2 islands, or add hassle and lose dive time just to have a little time to tour Curacao. And I say this even though I prefer Curacao for diving and other things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom