Bonaire Dive Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gearing up for a trip to Bonaire and trying to find a good shore diving boot that will fit in my fins. I bought a pair of Seasoft Sunray 3mm lowcut boots thinking they looked to be among some of the thinner boots out there but I was wrong. They fit my feet great and were very comfortable but they didn't go as far into my fin's foot pocket, leaving my heel sticking out further than in my thinner-soled boots.

I'm looking for something rugged enough for the iron shores of Bonaire but that won't force me to buy new fins. Anyone have anything that has worked for them? Btw, I tried my Chuck's and while they fit in my fins, they just weren't comfortable as dive boots. Plus, I already have heavy feet and the Chuck's just made that worse.

I would be interested as well. I tried several different boots before we left for our last Bonaire trip and they were all a little difficult to slip into my fins so I just went with my usual Neosport rubber sole dive booties and they worked fine for every dive spot that we did on the island (from Red Slave through Karapeta), diving 3-4 times per day, but I would still like to find hard sole boots that had a little less sole height, if I could find them.

I use a pair of these in bonaire. they aren't cheap at $100 CAD (72 USD?), but are 100% beauts and fit my x- large scubapro novo's perfectly. No issue with urchins/ironshore/glass/nails/razors/fire etc.

waterproof B1 6.5 semidry

Redirect Notice

https://www.amazon.com/Mares-Rubber-Sole-Classic-Dive/dp/B079SZHTXD

Wife and I love these. Have done shore diving on Bonaire and the Big Island of Hawaii in them. Hard soled army boots are over sold for Bonaire, IMO.

So, these don't look too different than what I'm currently using. I wonder how the soles differ? Makes me wonder if I need new boots at all! Seems to me that mine have a bit more flex than I'm comfortable with for iron shore, though. Would be nice to be able to compare.

Try walking on some sharp gravel with them on, if you have and discomfort or can feel the points, you may want to get something a bit thicker...although sharp urchins may pierce most stuff, but I have never taken care and never had an issue..

I have a pair of Aqualung Caribbean boots and the above mentioned mares. Aqualung ones have sturdier sole and I have tried them on a rocky entrance and they worked ok. Mares one is more comfortable and the sole is more flexible but I have not tried them on the rocky entry yet... They have thick ridges on the sole, so may work great too. I have only used mares on the boat entry and pool dives so far. Both fit into my split fins well :poke:

I've been using a pair of Mares Trilastic 5 mm Dive Boots while in Bonaire over the past 2 seasons with success. In general I'd recommend at least 5mm, mid to high top with some backbone to the soles. Don't cheap out on boots else your trip to Bonaire will be not be as sweet.

Ps - this topic has been covered multiple times in ScubaBoard. If you were to search I bet you would see numerous like suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom