Bonaire photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios:
Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

How does Bonaire compare to Cozumel?

Underwater - I liked Bonaire much more than Cozumel - the diving freedom (pool is open 24/7), fish population is large and healthy, and no current to fight for taking pictures and video. It's the best diving in Caribbean for a photographer!

Topside - I liked them about the same. Coz has a fun atmosphere, rustic, very latino culture and inexpensive. Bonaire has a fun atmosphere but much more mixed cultures, mostly European and Caribbean, more expensive by far. Everyone speaks English in Bonaire and at times you don't even feel like you are in a foreign country, very different than Coz.

SInce the hurricane would you say the Diving in BOnaire and underwater life is much greater than Cozumel?

Oh man. My PBD is returning. Thanks, It helps me save money for the next trip. Nice pictures. Thanks for allowing us to enjoy your trip.

SBP Studios:
SInce the hurricane would you say the Diving in BOnaire and underwater life is much greater than Cozumel?

I haven't been to Coz since the hurricane but friends (2 diff groups) went last year and said it was awful... all the shallow reefs were covered in sand and stripped of growth (sea fans, sponges, etc) which give the reefs all their color. The deeper reefs were also torn up but diveable. I have heard some people say it isn't that bad, but I would bet it will be years to bring the colors back. So my comparison is based purely on Coz before the damage. The only thing that Coz has over Bonaire in my opinion is the coral pinnacles on reefs such as Palancar Bricks and Columbia Deep - Bonaire has nothing like those sites, incredible walls and coral but not pinnacles or swimthroughs. But that's only 2 dives and IMHO not worth visiting just for that. I do love Coz topside though.

robint:
I haven't been to Coz since the hurricane but friends (2 diff groups) went last year and said it was awful... all the shallow reefs were covered in sand and stripped of growth (sea fans, sponges, etc) which give the reefs all their color. The deeper reefs were also torn up but diveable. I have heard some people say it isn't that bad, but I would bet it will be years to bring the colors back. So my comparison is based purely on Coz before the damage. The only thing that Coz has over Bonaire in my opinion is the coral pinnacles on reefs such as Palancar Bricks and Columbia Deep - Bonaire has nothing like those sites, incredible walls and coral but not pinnacles or swimthroughs. But that's only 2 dives and IMHO not worth visiting just for that. I do love Coz topside though.

Robin,

Your pictures are great! Thanks!!!! I agree with you about Coz... and I'm going to be a little more critical: I dove it three years consectively, with one being 10 months post Wilma. I have decided that I will give it another 3 years before returning.
In the three years (2004, 05, & 06) I dove it, Coz NEVER had the life that I saw in Bonaire!

Robin, I will contact you about permission to use some of you pictures/videos in my classroom. Pat

PS: Navajo Lake is calling you........ come on up and prove you two are REAL divers! ha! Surface temp. (to a depth of 6 inches!) was 78f two weeks ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom