Bonaire shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Another question. I have heard that some of the best diving in Bonaire is shore diving. Is there a scuba op that I can go to from the cruise ship that has rental gear and a good shore dive close by?

Rich Hagelin

Another question. I have heard that some of the best diving in Bonaire is shore diving. Is there a scuba op that I can go to from the cruise ship that has rental gear and a good shore dive close by?

Rich Hagelin

Dive Friends has a dive shop about two blocks from where the cruise ships dock... And They have a nice dive right out in front if you don't want to travel... A more expensive way to go is to contact VIP diving and they will take you on a guided dive to a site..

Dive friends has been my choice many times and you would be hard pressed to find a more friendly and knowledgeable dive OP... And the reef out front is a fun dive and always a lot to see...

Jim...

Last edited:
There's a bunch of them. Here's some of the easier logistically off a cruise ship. A couple are IMO on the better dive sites as well.

As mentioned ^ Dive Friends is in town right by the cruise dock. I didn't find diving there anything special but if your time in port is limited it might be the best option. If you've got all day - IMO any of these is better:

About 5mins. by cab north of town is Wannadive at Eden Beach. There's a shore dive there plus it's a nicer place for lunch. They also have a satellite facility south of town at Windsock Beach, an easy entry shore dive south of town you can find on most dive maps/listings. Wannadive Diving - Wannadive 'Scuba Diving on Bonaire'

Maybe 1/4? mile further north from Wannadive - is arguably one of the better known shore dives on Bonaire - Bari Reef. Due to the naturalists at Bonaire Dive and Adventure - it has one of the highest counted species of fish in the Caribbean - they do REEF counts there with guests. My buddy did one, his count was 185 on one 60min. dive - accompanied by the naturalist for a fee who pointed them out. Nice dock/stairs but don't jump off the side - it's about 4-5' deep. Bonaire Dive and Adventure is located in the Den Laman condo complex.

Immediately next door and still on Bari Reef is the Dive Friends shop at Sand Dollar condos - pretty convenient since since BD&A started restricting use of their dive dock/steps some years ago to non-paying guests - they built their own tank storage hut and steps right onto the beach there. .Locations & Hours - Dive Friends Bonaire Don't walk over to use BD&A's dock though lol..

Next is Buddy Dive - lots of divers there if you need a buddy. IMO they're not on the best dive site but one of the more popular so if there's seahorses or frogfish currently there - the shop will know where to find them that morning. Actually most of the shops will. Diving at Buddy Dive - Buddy Dive Resort I personally have not dove there but been in the shop once.

Directly north of Buddy is Capt' Don's Habitat. They're very set up for shore diving - if you cab up, get out at the turnaround (you'll see the bar at the end of the building) since there's a ramp there that goes right down to the dive dock although the shop is on that level.

Good facility, showers, lockers, (bring a lock) tank storage and dive dock with good (slick) wood stairs. Off the north dock you can access the south end of the Cliff dive - one of few vertical walls on Bonaire then drift back into the LaMachaca wreck off Habitat. Don't make the Machaca your main goal, it's a small boat and upside down. Diving in Bonaire - Captain Don's Habitat - Bonaire

About 1/4 mile north of that is the last Dive Friends shop at Hamlet Oasis - they dive Cliff from the north off a rocky beach. Habitat has the dive dock and it's a 10 min. swim north to the same spot - you decide...we did it from the south to just past the memorial b4 doubling back. Bonaire Shore Diving - Dive Friends Bonaire

Most offer a 1 day unlimited package on-site. It's going to run you $20-30 or so.

None of this is very far from Town Pier so should be easy to manage via cab. If you're on a big ship, it's the tallest thing downtown so easy to see - Bonaire is pretty flat.

Ask about the Marine Park Tag also - on a cruise dive they sell it for $10 (one day pass) and I think there's just a brief orientation, at the resorts there's a daily orientation in the morning but the tag is like $35 or more. I don't cruise so no idea how that works.

People have posted Dive Friends offers the orientation all day as well - it's just a brief lecture/demo often with a weight check included. We just made that our first dive instead.

have a good trip.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom