Bonaire - the questions not asked or thought about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I just booked for October.............sadly its $6000 Cdn for us but excited to read all the posts.

OUCH. I will say that the $1800USD at the SCUBA Show is based on double occupancy and valid only for June and then 30Nov to 20Dec. I can't do the June time frame, and realize that the December time is to entice people when the visibility is probably not the best due to Oct/Nov/Dec rains and runoff.

Although, $6K Cdn is about $2222 each in USD. I have friends going in 2 weeks, and they are all-in for just under $2K each. Not too far off, I guess.

but usually September through early January is fine.

fairly hard soled boots are a must.

Isn't visibility in December going to be poor? I know they don't get much rain to start with, but it starts towards the end of October, through November, and into December.

As I understood it, the runoff in Decmeber would make it some of the worst unless it continues to rain into January. Is this not the case?

And, what's the need for hard-soled boots?

. I have friends going in 2 weeks, and they are all-in for just under $2K each. Not too far off, I guess.

Is that just under $2k ea for two weeks? Includes hotel and diving??

Isn't visibility in December going to be poor? I know they don't get much rain to start with, but it starts towards the end of October, through November, and into December.

As I understood it, the runoff in Decmeber would make it some of the worst unless it continues to rain into January. Is this not the case?

And, what's the need for hard-soled boots?
I have found December to be great. There really is not an issue with rain run off. The island is primarily Iron Shore- like Cozumel. As for good boots, they are needed for many of the shore entries, many of which can be rocky, rutted, pot-holed, etc. This is a non-issue if only boat diving or entering and exiting from piers. As for cost, airfare from the West Coast usually runs between $750-$850 RT. Exception is the peak couple of weeks during Xmas/New Years period, when it can be easily $1500 RT. Unlimited shore diving only package with Nitrox is $180 for a week. Rental truck is around $400 a week and can accommodate 4 divers. Accommodation varies, you can find AirBNB rooms for $50 a night. Food also varies. $1800 per person with airfare is a very solid deal, particularly if that includes all of your food and some boat dives. That is a price that you can replicate yourself quite easily though, most any time of the year. Biggest expense for most people is the airfare, which is why many of us prefer staying for 2 or more weeks at a time, if possible. Not sure who your airfare is with, but if it is with United and going through Houston, take note that there is 1 plane a week going into Bonaire and that is on a Saturday and only 1 flight returning and that is on Sundays. So, an eight night stay is required. Oh- there is also a $45 marine park fee. Good for the calendar year. Must be paid in cash only and will be paid, in your case, to Buddy Dive. In case it hasn't been mentioned, currency on Bonaire is the US Dollar.

Bonaire is truly a paradise for divers. Enjoy your trip.
I'm looking forward to my next one.

Possibly in the future, but for the time being on reefs and shores that I am not familiar, no, I do not
Ok, sorry about the question now looking at your dive number solo dives would not typically be what you are doing. I still think what you have planned should be great. At a place like Buddys, you should be able to go out with others at Buddys to dive the house reef. You actually have access to at least three by just entering at buddys and diving to the reefs to your right. You have Buddys, then Capt Dons then the next one which is either cliff or small wall. What I would point out is you can dive the house reefs all day every day and have a great time.

I have found December to be great. There really is not an issue with rain run off. The island is primarily Iron Shore- like Cozumel.

Agreed. Speaking from experience the visibility isn’t affected by the rain, however, the mosquitoes absolutely love it! Hit the Kite City food truck for lunch if you’re near the airport or even if you’re not. Additionally each diver must purchase an annual national marine park pass medallion for $45, so don’t be surprised.

I just got home from a week in bonaire. We did drive and dive thru buddy's. It is very easy to get around the island. The vehicles are manual transmission unless you request automatic. We do shore diving only and do 4 dives a day. Advice is to do the popular sites first thing in the morning before the boats arrive and you are with 20 people. Example hilma hooker and salt pier. Also wanted to second the comment to not skip the shallows. Some of our best creature sightings were above 30 feet.

I just got back from our most recent 2 week visit, 44 dives, nearly 54 hours. Two weeks is not enough either :)
Did you end up doing any diving up in the National Park? Apart from your house reef at Bari, did you find yourself wanting to repeat or go back to any particular dive sites on this trip?

Back
Top Bottom