Bonaire Trip Report 3/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

me_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from a too-short week on Bonaire. Weather was okay - often cloudy, some rain, some wind, but overall pretty nice.
This was our 2nd trip to Bonaire, went Feb 2011 as well. We stayed at Buddy Dive both times. I was a little apprehensive after reading the other thread about things going downhill at Buddy Dive, but we didn't really notice any difference at all from last year. Though that thread did get us paying attention to the "attitude" of everyone and we did a lot of people watching (both DMs and customers). More often than not customers were an issue - I'm surprised the people at Buddy were as nice as they were to some of the people - I thought they did a fine job. The DMs had all different personalities - just like normal people :) - and it was interesting to watch the differences. We did 9 boat dives and on almost every one they made a point of having everyone check their tanks to be sure they were above 2800 (they are only rated for 3000) and we never had one less than 2900. Nitrox varied from 30-32 but honestly I think there's a lot of variations in analyzers and how you test it. There were always extra tanks on the boat and only once did I think someone had to find another tank (probably because some newbie put the cap back on).
Our favorite DM was "March", she's new since last year and a lot of fun. On the one dive with Irene, she pointed out lots of good stuff.

The visibility wasn't as great as we've heard it could be - 30-40' mostly, but saw lots of good things. Lionfish about the same as last year. Favorite site was Country gardens, lots of good things in those mounds in the shallows.

Dinner out was at 3 places: La Barka - Italian was wonderful (just like last year) and I'm really suprised this place isn't busier. It was the best of the three. Highly recommended, great service and food.
It's Raining Fishes was good as well, though they were out of almost everything the night we were there - very limited options. Baked potato was way underdone. Mona Lisa was the least impressive of the three - we both got beef and it was kind of tough. Though the potatoes with the melted cheese was out of this world and the dessert was awesome, it was our most expensive meal.

Thanks for your trip report. Good to hear!

30 - 40 foot viz. would definitely be lower than normal.

On the issue of tough beef, it's my understanding quite a bit of the beef sold on Bonaire is free range Argentinian beef, if I recall correctly, and it's said to be 'different' than U.S. producing beef. I'm a fish person, and on Bonaire, I eat fish pretty much every supper I eat out.

Glad you had a good time. I was part of a 4-some that had a 12/11 1 week trip to Buddy Dive in Bonaire, which was quite good, though I've not done a boat dive on Bonaire yet.

Richard.

On the issue of tough beef, it's my understanding quite a bit of the beef sold on Bonaire is free range Argentinian beef, if I recall correctly, and it's said to be 'different' than U.S. producing beef. I'm a fish person, and on Bonaire, I eat fish pretty much every supper I eat out.

Richard.

Yeah, we had eaten fish at every meal until this one, and were craving some beef, and they had a prime rib special. It wasn't horrible, just not worth the $$$....

Thanks for the report.

We were there just after you. 3/10-3/18. I know what you mean about a short week. I think we would stay at least 10 days next time.

The vis was somewhat better the following week. @60' on most dives. But it was still great diving. The water temps were also cooler than I expected, consistenly 77F. For me, that's about the limit for my 3mil on a longer dive. I should have had a 3/5 or 5.

PH

was on bonaire too, first two weeks of March. Water temps were as said cooler than expected. but did just use my "skin" and only once my 3/2 wetsuit. windy too. visibility reduced too--still great and will be back this summer.

Yeah, we had eaten fish at every meal until this one, and were craving some beef, and they had a prime rib special. It wasn't horrible, just not worth the $$$....
Probably just the way they cooked it. I've had tough prime rib at plenty of U.S. restaurants. I've also had some incredibly tender Argentinean beef on Bonaire, including a melt-in-your mouth filet at Cactus Blue, excellent tender filets at Casablanca, and a huge tender rib chop once on special at Patagonia.

On the other hand, the times I've had overcooked fish on Bonaire...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom