Bonaire Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwasser bolt

Contributor
Reaction score
We stayed at Happy Holiday Homes and as usual everything there was in in order. This was our 4th trip to Bonaire.

Cruise ships have definitely changed the Island over the past years. Bonaire 15 years ago is nothing like Bonaire today. Heck, it has changed a lot in 5 years.

Diving was typical, which is to say excellent. There is a lot of construction on the beach front, so one has to wonder how much longer it will be easy to access shore dives. After all that is what makes Bonaire. We used Dive Friends and we were very pleased with the service. We scheduled our first boat dive while on the island and went to Klein. I was underwhelmed. The ratio was good with 1 guide to 8 divers. I was also surprised at the number of urchins in the shallows at some shore locations. Don't recall ever seeing that many urchins.

As for dining, Casablanca is gone, but Blue Garden has taken its place and it was very good dining. Everyone's favorite was Cuba Compagnie. At Sea was a very good restaurant, but a bit more upscale than what I like. The food was excellent and the wine list was not too bad. El Mundo was downtown and was new to me. I like the restaurant, however. The food was good as was the service. Pas Bon Pizza was excellent, as usual. The big disappointment was Patagonia, which used to be my favorite restaurant on the island. It has moved from it's water front location and is now downtown (due to cruise ships, no doubt) in a building that has all the ambiance of a cheap Chinese restaurant in a strip mall. They were out of all fish (on an island!!) and the food they did have was a disappointment. Service was nothing less than horrible and the waiter even had the audacity to request his tip in cash. He got cash, but not much of it.

There was a lost diver on the island, according to the dive shop. Apparently two divers decided to head to 117 meters on single tanks. On the way down, something went wrong. One made it up, the other did not. There was a large search for the body off of Karpata, but it was feared the body was on the bottom and they were looking for professional divers with the technical experience to dive to 120 meters plus.

The big take away: every time I return to Bonaire, maybe once every 5 years, it just doesn't fell the same.

Thanks for the write up, I have been there once and thought it was really good diving. I am surprised at the stupidity of the 2 divers that went down 117 meters on a single tank! that is 383 feet. Maybe it was an attempt at suicide, one did succeed, unfortunately.

Unfortunately, you can't stop progress. Bonaire is still relatively untouched in comparison to places like Grand Cayman and Coz.
I was there last summer and it seemed that most beachfront construction was right around town so shore diving access otherwise relatively untouched.

117 meter on a single tank. That mortality is simply Darwinian selection.

Thanks for the restaurant reviews.

Where you choose to stay, yes there is a lot of construction and changes. Other parts of the island though relatively unchanged. Southern sites below Belnem do not seem to have changed that much. Same with the Northern sites. Staying north - and cruise ships are a non factor.

Also, where did you dive on Klein and this was your first and only dive on Klein? Some sites are just okay but some are excellent.

Thanks for your report and feedback. Yes change is unfortunately unwelcome at times.

The question though is it still overall a positive such that you will return?

Thanks for the report. One bit of "progress" that I admit I am looking forward to is the new airport. Anyone have an update. Opening date or has it already opened? Didn't seem far enough along for that when I was last there in March.

A few comments on the accident. Very unfortunate and if facts as reported very predictable. I did not realize Karpata reached those depths from shore dive access. How far from shore is it?

And last, if I am ever that unwise or just unfortunate, please don't put divers at risk just to recover a body. Leave me at peace in the sea.

can you elaborate on the construction you encountered?

a few months ago they were still working on the building to the south of karels just downtown. we did not notice any other ongoing projects.

How will the new airport be different? I'd like air conditioning through-out, from the line to customs on entry through baggage and in the check-in area on exit. You've got a bunch of people about to be packed into close quarters coach on big planes for fairly lengthy flights. Adding sweaty & unhappy to the start of that is not a good way to go.

Richard.

You improve it....they will come. The best way to ruin a nice vacation spot is 'success'. Make your choices wisely.
Cruise ships suck and are an abomination. :confused:

How will the new airport be different? I'd like air conditioning through-out, from the line to customs on entry through baggage and in the check-in area on exit. You've got a bunch of people about to be packed into close quarters coach on big planes for fairly lengthy flights. Adding sweaty & unhappy to the start of that is not a good way to go.

Richard.
Among other things more seating for departures. We had to stand the entire time 2 trips ago. And most of the time our last trip.

They are describing it as a new "state-of-the-art passenger terminal."

We just returned from a week stay, Got a beach house from Sun Bonaire rentals just north of 18 Palms. Diving was great, 3 a day plus a couple of night dives .... We have only been going to Bonaire for the last 5 or so years so we don't have a historical perspective, but all was well. Had a real good time out at Jibe City watching some of our non-divers wind surf. Did Pas Bon Pizza which was good and Joes Grill who had a good selection of Belgian beer for only 4:00 a bottle. Seemed like when we wanted to eat, everything was closed... it is slow season.

We don't do the boat trips, just shore dives. Are we missing anything?

Back
Top Bottom