Book recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Auburn910

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to photography but not to diving by any means. I recently purchased a MX 10 camera with strobe and close up lens. Hopefully this camera will do an okay job for me if i am close to my subjects. The model is discontinued but was only about 210 dollars new with the close up lens.

I know very little about shutter speed, aperture, lighting requirements, and so on. If there are any good books/literature on the web you could direct me to that would be great. A book that shows 3 example pictures with the authors thoughts and how each was shot with different variables (shutter speed aperture, etc) would be great. I only know the very basics and probably dont even know the right questions to ask.

If i learn more, enjoy my MX 10, i plan to sell and upgrade to a nicer system. I would like advanced knowledge from books/web on photography, but I need some recommendations on the basics first.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Forest

There are a ton of basic photography books. Head to your local library and lay hands on pretty much any of them to get started.

For uw - Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition is a must have.

Sea & Sea also has a book out that covers their cameras - it's pretty good for your specific needs. Don't have the title but it's something like Guide to Sea & Sea Cameras

There are a couple of new Drafahl books out too, but I can't find the links right now...hopefully someone is more organized than I am!

One of the best resources I have found is our own UW Photography forum here (along with the galleries). Have a browse and see what you like and what you think doesn't work so well...ask questions. Ask about settings and lenses when you see something (good or bad) that strikes you - can't get more real world than that. www.digitaldiver.net also is an excellent resource and an extremely friendly environment. All they do there is uw imaging so there is a ton of info and great people willing to help.

Keep in mind that just because one shooter used f4.5 and 1/200 doesn't mean that is the setting you are going to use - every dive and every shot is different. But it may give you a starting place.

Film is going to be a steeper learning curve than digital, but it just really means you need to focus a bit more on each dive. You'll have a great time!

Here's the book Alcina was referring to:

The New Guide to Sea & Sea,

by Joe Liburdi & Cara Sherman.

Your LDS might have it, Amazon for sure has it. It specifically covers your camera and strobe. Cost is about $25.00

When you decide to go digital here's Jack and Sue Drafahl's web address:

http://www.jackandsuedrafahl.com/

I have been fortunate to attend several of their lectures at Our World Underwater in Chicago. They have one book I would recommend in particular :

The Master Guide to Digital Underwater Photography
($35.00 or so)

They also have some new CD based tutorials on using Adobe PhotoShop. I got a beta copy of the first one. It's PDF based (Adobe Acrobat) and walks you right through various PhotoShop processing techniques.

In my opinion you would be better off using print film. It has much better exposure latitude. It is also becoming more difficult to obtain slide processing service. Some of the new ISO 400 films have extremely fine grain. They can really extend your camera's capabilities.

When you have your film developed I would suggest getting photo CD's made along with your prints or slides. This will give you alot of future flexibility for the display, printing or distribution of your photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom